Families’ complaints spark review of parking permits by Norwich City Council
City Hall bosses will review the way parking permits are enforced across Norwich in the wake of complaints that the system is being abused.
Families will also have to pay more for their parking permits in January after the Norwich Highways Agency Committee (NHAC) agreed to raise prices.
A 12-month permit will increase from �16 to �17 for a 'short' car, from �23.90 to �26 for a 'medium' car and up to �38 from �35 for a 'long' car.
Visitor permits are priced as if the car is 'medium' length.
Becki Matthews, who has been leading the fight for Ashby Street residents since 2004 against businesses abusing parking permits, called on officers to give a time frame on a long-awaited review of parking permits.
Transport manager Joanne Deverick said the review, which will cover how permits are given out, should be completed by May.
The review will also look at putting a limit on how long businesses with permits can park after it emerged some firms are using photocopies of permits.
- 1 Teen slapped with six points on licence - but she can't even drive
- 2 Changes on the way for listed pub after plans given green light
- 3 City pub 'full of life again' after busy opening weekend
- 4 Mystery over how grotty sofa ended up on garage roof
- 5 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 6 Efforts step up to protect city park from development
- 7 Pupils reach for the rainbow for Norwich Pride Schools Week
- 8 Norfolk cheese restaurant is launching bottomless brunch this summer
- 9 Glimpses of Norwich week 25: a picture a day from a week in our fine city
- 10 Two neighbouring properties go up for sale - and they both need some TLC
Ms Matthews said businesses were parking cars in the street for four days without them being moved.
But when council officers carried out their own survey in October half-term they found there were enough empty spaces.
What do you think of parking problems around Norwich? Write to Evening News letters, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1JE