Britain ‘is facing pot-hole plague’, as Taverham motorist speaks of her misery
- Credit: Archant
New figures show that Britain is facing a £10bn 'pot-hole plague' that has left one in three drivers with damaged cars in the past two years.
It comes as another motorist in the Norwich area has joined the Evening News' Spot The Pot campaign. Charlotte Westall, 21, from Taverham, was hit with a £300 bill to repair her car after driving over a pot-hole in Fakenham Road last December.
The pot-hole has now been filled in, but her grandmother, Jill Miller, from Heigham Street, Norwich, said: 'Her wheel was sheared right off.'
The new survey by Annual Local Authority Road Maintenance (ALARM), which is completed by 75pc of councils across England and Wales, has revealed 'a crumbling road crisis of increasing concern'.
It found the number of highway craters has soared by nearly a third to more than 2.2 million and now one in five of all roads are riddled with them. The crisis means compensation pay-outs last year topped £32m – 50pc up on 2011 and now averaging around £200,000 per council. Some £113m was spent last year filling in the pot-holes – but is barely keeping pace as the maintenance backlog across England and Wales is £2.5bn.
You may also want to watch:
The Evening News has begun the battle to bring our roads up to standard with the launch of our Spot the Pot campaign. We want to hear about the pot-holes blighting your street or any that have already caused you problems. Send your views and photos to email@example.com or write to Spot the Pot, Newsdesk, Prospect House, Rouen Road, Norwich, NR1 1RE. You can submit photos to www.iwitness24.co.uk or via Twitter by using the hashtag #SpotThePot
- 1 Calls to stop major development in expanding village
- 2 Streets in Norwich close for car-free day
- 3 Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- 4 What 45,000 new homes will mean for our city
- 5 'A very easy Brexit win' - Traders have say on imperial measures change
- 6 New sculpture trail launched for park near Norwich
- 7 Impact of T-Rex trail revealed as sculptures leave city
- 8 Five of the most expensive properties for rent in Norwich
- 9 Man arrested after assaulting three police officers outside Popworld
- 10 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident