Top award for Norwich Evening News
The Norwich Evening News has scooped a top media award for one of its front pages.
At the EDF Energy East of England Media Awards 2010 the paper won Front Page of the Year for its 'Defeated Clarke heads for exit' front page that featured photographer Bill Smith's picture of the former home secretary and Norwich South MP Charles Clarke leaving the general election count.
Judges said: 'The Norwich Evening News submitted a very well designed front page with a brilliant image.
'Defeated Clarke heads for the exit' superbly catches the moment when long-standing Norwich MP Charles Clarke headed for that exit – on election night, knowing his time in office is up.'
Page designer, Joe Ringer, was named Designer of the Year for work on two projects for Evening News publisher Archant Norfolk. They were Canary Preview and Review.
You may also want to watch:
Evening News editor Tim Williams said: 'The fact that the Norwich Evening News was not only honoured for producing the front page of the year but also nominated for newspaper of the year and campaign of the year shows that we are producing top quality newspapers and websites every single day.
'It is also testament to the hard work that goes on behind-the-scenes to give our readers the most comprehensive guide to what is happening in our fine city.
- 1 In photos: Norwich transformed but deserted in lockdown snowfall
- 2 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 3 Drag Race star kicks off BBC show stint with Norwich City theme
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 6 Pizza and Yorkshire pudding wrap takeaway opening in Norwich
- 7 Tributes paid to 'happy and giggly' woman who died aged 23
- 8 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 9 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 10 'Village would be worse without it' - Owner on plans for 17th century pub
'The image of Charles Clarke leaving the election count after his defeat perfectly summed up the story and helped produce one of our most striking front pages in recent years and was very much deserving of the award.
'I am also delighted for Joe Ringer who deservedly picked-up designer of the year for producing our annual Norwich City fans' favourite the Canary Preview.'
The Evening News' sister paper the Eastern Daily Press won Daily Newspaper of the Year and also Website of the Year for edp24.co.uk
The awards ceremony was held at Trinity Park in Ipswich on Thursday.