Top award for Norwich Evening News
The Norwich Evening News has scooped a top media award for one of its front pages.
At the EDF Energy East of England Media Awards 2010 the paper won Front Page of the Year for its 'Defeated Clarke heads for exit' front page that featured photographer Bill Smith's picture of the former home secretary and Norwich South MP Charles Clarke leaving the general election count.
Judges said: 'The Norwich Evening News submitted a very well designed front page with a brilliant image.
'Defeated Clarke heads for the exit' superbly catches the moment when long-standing Norwich MP Charles Clarke headed for that exit – on election night, knowing his time in office is up.'
Page designer, Joe Ringer, was named Designer of the Year for work on two projects for Evening News publisher Archant Norfolk. They were Canary Preview and Review.
You may also want to watch:
Evening News editor Tim Williams said: 'The fact that the Norwich Evening News was not only honoured for producing the front page of the year but also nominated for newspaper of the year and campaign of the year shows that we are producing top quality newspapers and websites every single day.
'It is also testament to the hard work that goes on behind-the-scenes to give our readers the most comprehensive guide to what is happening in our fine city.
- 1 Calls to stop major development in expanding village
- 2 Streets in Norwich close for car-free day
- 3 The roadworks you need to know about in Norwich this week
- 4 Bus routes affected by driver shortages in Norwich
- 5 Impact of T-Rex trail revealed as sculptures leave city
- 6 Bookshop to close with clothing store set to move in
- 7 Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- 8 'A very easy Brexit win' - Traders have say on imperial measures change
- 9 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 10 New sculpture trail launched for park near Norwich
'The image of Charles Clarke leaving the election count after his defeat perfectly summed up the story and helped produce one of our most striking front pages in recent years and was very much deserving of the award.
'I am also delighted for Joe Ringer who deservedly picked-up designer of the year for producing our annual Norwich City fans' favourite the Canary Preview.'
The Evening News' sister paper the Eastern Daily Press won Daily Newspaper of the Year and also Website of the Year for edp24.co.uk
The awards ceremony was held at Trinity Park in Ipswich on Thursday.