History made at town council as all-female team appointed at the top
- Credit: Submitted
History has been made at a town council after an all-female team has been announced for the first time.
Sue Lawn has been appointed as the new mayor of Thorpe St Andrew Town Council, while Jane Fisher has been chosen as the deputy mayor.
Both positions were unanimously supported at the annual meeting at the end of April.
Mrs Lawn said: "Councillor Fisher and I have already worked hard as a team for many years on the events committee to deliver fantastic attractions such as St George's Day, and we will bring bigger and better events in the coming years."
She added that she is looking forward to supporting Leeway, the mayor's charity of the year, as restrictions ease.
Mrs Fisher said: "I am looking forward to bringing a number of fresh ideas forward, continuing the excellent work which has been done in recent years."
Prior to the community becoming a town, the parish council appointed Elsie Grimson as its first and only female chairman in the mid-1990s.
- 1 Greater Anglia application to demolish train station building thrown out
- 2 Load of Bull! Anger as Red Bull ramps up threat against Norwich gin firm
- 3 It's going down! Demolition of car showroom begins to make way for homes
- 4 'How I made four million flipping council houses into luxury student digs'
- 5 What is this mystery tower that has sprung up in Norwich?
- 6 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 7 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 8 REVEALED: Hotspots in Norwich with the most burglaries
- 9 Two Norwich shops named among UK's best independent stores
- 10 Woman hunts venue for 200 people and Madness tribute after The Talk shuts