Theatre legend Andrew Lloyd Webber visits Norwich theatre
Music maestro Andrew Lloyd Webber paid a surprise visit to Norwich on Wednesday evening for an unannounced trip to the Theatre Royal to watch The Sound of Music.
Only a handful of staff at the theatre were aware that Lord Lloyd Webber, who has produced the touring show, would be attending the matinee performance.
'The cast had no idea that I'd be visiting, but I was really keen to catch a performance and it would have spoilt it if they'd known I was coming,' he said. 'It was fantastic. Absolutely terrific – almost as good as the look on the cast's faces when they realised that I'd been watching them!'
The stalls were alive with the sound of excited chatter as audience members spotted Lord Lloyd Webber among their number for yesterday's performance.
'I think a few people did clock the fact that I was there, but I did try and keep out of the way because I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag,' he said.
You may also want to watch:
The Sound of Music, starring Verity Rushworth and Michael Praed, is at the Theatre Royal until Saturday. Call the box office on 01603 630000 for details.
For a full interview with Andrew Lloyd Webber, see Friday's Evening News.
- 1 Siblings slam council for 'backtracking' on council flat
- 2 See inside renovated 1950s Norwich factory apartment for sale for £350,000
- 3 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 4 Bookshop to close with clothing store set to move in
- 5 Calls to stop major development in expanding village
- 6 Windows left with cracks after mystery bang heard in Norwich
- 7 Terror for tenants as yobs smash their way into flats
- 8 Public consultation launched over proposed 1,600 home development
- 9 'It came out of the blue': Chinese takeaway gets one-star hygiene rating
- 10 Bus routes affected by driver shortages in Norwich