Theatre legend Andrew Lloyd Webber visits Norwich theatre
Music maestro Andrew Lloyd Webber paid a surprise visit to Norwich on Wednesday evening for an unannounced trip to the Theatre Royal to watch The Sound of Music.
Only a handful of staff at the theatre were aware that Lord Lloyd Webber, who has produced the touring show, would be attending the matinee performance.
'The cast had no idea that I'd be visiting, but I was really keen to catch a performance and it would have spoilt it if they'd known I was coming,' he said. 'It was fantastic. Absolutely terrific – almost as good as the look on the cast's faces when they realised that I'd been watching them!'
The stalls were alive with the sound of excited chatter as audience members spotted Lord Lloyd Webber among their number for yesterday's performance.
'I think a few people did clock the fact that I was there, but I did try and keep out of the way because I didn't want to let the cat out of the bag,' he said.
You may also want to watch:
The Sound of Music, starring Verity Rushworth and Michael Praed, is at the Theatre Royal until Saturday. Call the box office on 01603 630000 for details.
For a full interview with Andrew Lloyd Webber, see Friday's Evening News.
- 1 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 2 Number of homes for derelict site could be increased to 200
- 3 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 4 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 5 City centre street set to close at weekend
- 6 Cannabis dealer had more than £8300 in cash stashed away
- 7 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 8 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 9 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 10 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house