Norwich Market stall to appear on Channel 4’s Food Unwrapped
- Credit: Archant
A popular stall at Norwich Market, which has been there for over 70 years, will feature on the upcoming episode of Channel 4's Food Unwrapped.
The show returns for its eighteenth series on Monday night and once again explores the industry secrets behind our favourite foods.
The Mushy Pea Stall at Norwich Market will feature in a segment on the episode, with presenter Briony Williams, who was a contestant on The Great British Bake Off in 2018, as she explores the surprising secret to making the British staple.
Filming took place in August last year and it isn't the first time TV crews have visited the stall as it also featured on BBC's Great British Food Revival with Ainsley Harriott in 2011.
The third generation family business is run by Anita and Carl Adcock, from Hellesdon, and they serve homemade mushy peas with mint sauce alongside a range of pies, mash and burgers.
The stall was first opened by Joyce and Reggie Yallop in 1949 and then passed down to daughter Joy and husband John Adcock who ran it until 2006 when their son Carl took it on with his wife Anita.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Adcock, aged 60, said: "We were approached to do the show in June last year as they were looking to do a programme about peas in general and wanted to see the process of how a dried pea changes into mushy peas and we have a very good reputation.
"We cooked with them and went through the different stages, with it being soaked overnight and cooked the next day, and then they tried the mushy peas and loved them.
- 1 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 2 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 3 Man killed after collision with double-decker bus on A146 named
- 4 Huge Gothic home on edge of city cemetery is for sale for £1.2m
- 5 Neighbours' terror as bleeding man found in garden after street fight
- 6 Nearly 4,000 people wait for council homes - but fewer than 200 available
- 7 Pet owner's fury as mystery neighbour tries to claim her cat as their own
- 8 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 9 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 10 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
"Briony is a lovely lady and it was really nice to take part and make people aware how healthy peas are."
In the episode, Jimmy Doherty also heads to Paris to find out why baguettes go stale faster than sliced loaves of bread and Matt Tebbutt head to Italy to investigate why buffalo mozzarella is so expensive.
Food Unwrapped returns on Monday, February 24 at 8.30pm on Channel 4.