Fly in zapper blamed as fire crews rush to restaurant

Fire crews were called after an alarm went off at The Ivy restaurant in Norwich.

Fire crews were called after an alarm went off at The Ivy restaurant in Norwich. - Credit: Submitted

Staff were evacuated from a Norwich restaurant over fears of a fire – but it turned out to be a false alarm.

A spokesperson for Norfolk Fire and Rescue confirmed it was called to London Street at 10.03am on Thursday.

Staff from The Ivy Norwich Brasserie had gathered outside the building, but within minutes it was discovered that there was no fire.

Instead, it was a fly in a zapper which had caused the confusion after it set off the an alarm.

Fire crews were called after an alarm went off at The Ivy restaurant in Norwich.

Fire crews were called after an alarm went off at The Ivy restaurant in Norwich. - Credit: Submitted

Mick Hughes, watch manager at Carrow Fire Station, said: "It was a false alarm caused by a fly in the zapper.


You may also want to watch:


"Our message is to always test smoke alarms. Once a month give them a hoover as insects like spiders can get into detectors and cause false alarms."

Staff are back inside the restaurant, which will be able to trade as normal.

Most Read

Fire crews were stood down at 10.10am.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus