Take a first look inside Norwich’s new vegan restaurant and cocktail bar
- Credit: Archant
A new vegan restaurant serving European dishes and cocktails has opened in Norwich and the menu is packed with seasonal and local produce.
The Gatherers has opened in 2 Muspole Street, in the former home of The Woolpack Yard pub, and is a “continental-style bistro” with a cosy indoor dining area and bar and a large garden with benches.
The restaurant is owned by Daniel Farrow, 25, who also owns the The Norfolk Vegan Company that caters for events across the region.
While the menu is all plant-based, with options such as a seasonal risotto and wild mushroom, port and red wine ragù, Mr Farrow said it was “good food that just happens to be vegan”.
Mr Farrow, who has been a vegan for five years, said: “It is a very old listed building so lots of things needed fixing and refurbishing and we had been finally ready to open but then coronavirus happened, but the silver lining was that it gave us time to get things just right.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve always been very passionate about food and when I went vegan it encouraged me to explore cuisine from all over the world and, instead of cooking fake meats, it was a case of finding authentic dishes that just happen to be vegetarian or vegan.
“I first had the initial concept for The Gatherers three years ago for a continental-style bistro serving European cuisine and over that time was looking for a venue.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 'Someone will get hurt' - Frustration over pothole near Norwich surgery
- 3 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 4 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 5 Men ran over roofs to flee police after Norwich cannabis factory raid
- 6 Hopes for a summer reopening of popular park café
- 7 New bus and cycle lane opens after traffic disruption into city
- 8 Jailed in Norfolk last week: Drug dealer, £1.3m fraudster and paedophile
- 9 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 10 Music shop for rent after couple bow out after 34 years
“We serve plant-based dishes using traditional European recipes, along with tapas such as thrice-cooked chips, artichokes and patatas bravas.
“We use fresh and seasonal ingredients and lots of local produce and the name comes from the idea of gathering food and also people coming together.”
The Gatherers also serves fine wine and cocktails with traditional options, such as a Manhattan and martini, alongside their own creations.
To adhere to social distancing guidelines there are forms to fill in upon entry and it will be table service only for the time being.
The Gatherers is open 12pm to 11pm Tuesday to Thursday and 12pm to 1.30am on Fridays and Saturdays.
-This newspaper recently launched a Love Local campaign, encouraging you to spend within our region and give the independent industry a vital boost, so make sure to support this new restaurant.