People evacuated from The Forum after firework causes ‘small explosion’ in bin
- Credit: Archant
A city centre building was evacuated after a firework caused an explosion in a bin.
Emergency services were called to the Forum, on Millennium Plain in Norwich, just before 1.50pm on Wednesday afternoon to reports of an explosion.
Certain areas of the Forum - including the library, Pizza Express and Marzano's - were initially evacuated, and by 2.05pm the whole building had been cleared.
Police said they had been called to reports of a 'small explosion' in a bin just outside the car park.
A spokesperson said officers discovered a firework had been behind the incident, and that no-one had been injured.
They took to Twitter to reassure people who may have heard the noise, and said: 'We are aware of an incident @TheNorwichForum due to a firework causing a small explosion outside the car park.
'No one is hurt and we are currently on scene.'
- 1 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 2 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 3 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 4 Mum-to-be outraged after yobs vandalise 13 cars in suburb
- 5 Family living in city's 'worst' council house despair over new damp
- 6 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 7 Huge food festival with Liberty X and S Club All Stars heading to Norwich
- 8 'Such a shame': Independent card shop announces closure with sale
- 9 Extra security measures approved for flats plagued by drug use
- 10 Graduate outraged after being handed tax bill for unoccupied student digs
No-one has been arrested in connection with the incident.
It came after reports on social media of a 'loud bang', which caused an unpleasant smell and smoke in the area.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service said they sent three crews - one each from Carrow, Earlham and Sprowston - to the incident, which was initially reported as a building fire on Bethel Street.
But the fire had been put out by the time they arrived on scene.