The Costessey pub and its locals that keep on giving for charity
- Credit: Archant
A tight-knit and generous community has helped a pub raise more than £40,000 for charity over a decade.
For landlord Gary Wilson and his wife, Debra, the Bush, at Costessey, is more than a place to go for a drink.
For the last decade, Mr Wilson has used the pub to raise thousands of pounds for an array of charities.
And thanks to the generosity of the pub's customers, Mr Wilson – who will have lived and worked in the pub for 10 years next month – has raised around £5,000 each year, divided between the British Heart Foundation, Mundesley Lifeboat Charity and others, often nominated by regulars.
Mr Wilson said: 'The fundraising is on-going. Everyone is contributing all the time.
You may also want to watch:
'We're a local community pub. When we raise money we try to make sure it's kept local so that people can see where their money is going.'
The pub provides boxes for donations and bi-weekly raffles for the British Heart Foundation – and a wide range of events including quiz nights, charity race nights and seasonal raffles are also organised to raise money for other charities.
- 1 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 2 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 3 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 4 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Drag Race star Bimini spotted shopping in Norwich
- 7 Masterplan for 4,000-homes Colman's regeneration to go on show
- 8 Britain's poshest train came to Norwich and Ipswich and it was pure luxury
- 9 Samson and Hercules building reopens under new owners
- 10 Teen motorcyclist taken to hospital after crash with bus in Norwich
The previous owners of the pub, Bob and Belinda Merriedale, started donating to the British Heart Foundation following the birth of their son, who had a heart defect.
And 14 years later the pub's community continues to give, with total donations reaching more than £10,000 in November.
Fundraising volunteer manager Dawne Hart expressed her gratitude towards the pub saying: 'We'd like to thank Gary Wilson and all his customers and friends for supporting the BHF with such a generous donation.'
Another charity is chosen to receive a share of the donations each Christmas with the 46th Norwich Scout Group accepting last years donations.
Are you, or is someone you know, holding a fundraising event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or call Rebecca Murphy on 01603 772684.