The Body Observed: Magnum Photos exhibition opens at Sainsbury Centre
- Credit: ©Eve Arnold / Magnum Photos
A major new photography exhibition organised by Sainsbury Centre and Magnum Photos has opened to the public.
The Body Observed: Magnum Photos includes over 130 works from the 1930s to present and will explore how Magnum photographers have turned their lens to the human body, examining issues such as identity, intimacy, sexuality and ritual.
The exhibition includes well-known images such as Eve Arnold's portraits of Hollywood icon Joan Crawford and Philippe Halsman's Dalí Atomicus, a work selected for TIME magazine's 100 Most Influential Images of All Time in 2016.
Also included are photographs by Alec Soth from his series Niagara, an exploration of melancholy love in one of America's best-known
honeymoon destinations and photographs from Susan Meiselas' celebrated Carnival Strippers series.
Magnum Photos was founded in 1947 by the photographers Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Capa, George Rodger and David 'Chim' Seymour.
A cooperative, Magnum was initially established in New York but offices soon followed in London and Paris.
- 1 Riverside pub undergoes £80k refurb in time for summer
- 2 Everything you need to know about the Sweet Briar Road closure
- 3 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 4 Sewage seeps through floorboards and blocks sinks in apartment block
- 5 Drivers bemused as underwear strewn across pedestrian crossing
- 6 Why NR3 is being dubbed the 'new Shoreditch'
- 7 Norwich cocktail bar and restaurant relaunches with new name and menu
- 8 Supporters' fears that Spurs game at Carrow Road may turn nasty
- 9 11 reasons why Norwich is the best city
- 10 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
They are now recognised as one of the best-known photo agencies whose members include many of the world's leading photographers.
Monserrat Pis Marcos, Sainsbury Centre Curator for The Body Observed, said: 'Working with Magnum Photos has been a very formative experience.
'It was fantastic to be able to correspond with some of the best living photographers of our day and the agency's archive is such a treasure trove of stunning images that narrowing down the selection was quite the challenge.'
The Body Observed: Magnum Photos runs until June 30 2019 and tickets cost £13 for adults and £12 for concessions.
Half price tickets are also available for under 18s, full-time students and art fund members and are free for Sainsbury Centre members and UEA and NUA student members.