‘Cakeaway’ afternoon tea launches in Norwich
- Credit: Archant
Diners can tuck into tasty sandwiches and sweet treats at home or in the park as The Assembly House in Norwich has launched a takeaway version of its award-winning afternoon tea.
The venue, based in Theatre Street, is now running a ‘cakeaway’ service of its ice cream themed afternoon tea and it is available to collect from Wednesdays to Sundays.
It has been designed by head of pastry Mark Mitson and includes sandwiches, savouries, scones, cakes and even a packet of Assembly House blend loose leaf tea.
The sweet treats, which are inspired by ice cream flavours, are Neapolitan macarons, a mint chocolate chip Gateau Opera, a Knickerbocker Glory-inspired shot and a raspberry ripple filled soft hazelnut biscuit ‘ice cream’ sandwich.
There is also a new line-up of savouries which are a sausage roll, coronation chicken bridge roll with mango chutney and coconut, Mark Mitson’s Parmesan and pistachio shortbread and a cream cheese and smoked paprika muffin.
The tea can be adapted for gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan and dairy-free diners and a smaller size children’s version is also available.
Chef director Richard Hughes said: “Takeaway tea has been on our ‘to do’ list for years, but lockdown gave us the opportunity to make it a reality.
- 1 Sweet Briar Road to reopen TODAY
- 2 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 3 Norwich pub to host street party with Caribbean BBQ, DJs and stalls
- 4 Chaos at major airports sees demand for Norwich flights increase 400pc
- 5 New Tesco store opens in city centre
- 6 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 7 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 8 Rumours Sweet Briar Road will close again QUASHED by council
- 9 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 10 Wakey wakey! Church bells pose dilemma to swanky flats plan
“We have been blown away by the popularity since we opened up the service and have already sent out hundreds of cakeaway teas.
“While The Assembly House prides itself on service and glamour, this is a way to enjoy our tea at home or as a picnic.
“We have worked hard to create a tea which is portable and beautifully boxed. People are buying them for celebrations, presents or just as a delicious treat.”
You can order up to 9pm the evening before your desired collection day, with 10-minute slots between 10.30am and 3.30pm, and all payments are taken at the time of ordering.
Cakeaway can be booked up to a week in advance and pick-up slots have been designed to take social distancing into consideration.
The tea costs £20pp and to book visit assemblyhousenorwich.co.uk/cakeaway or call 01603 626402.