City centre Tesco Express store to close
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Tesco has announced it is closing one of its shops in Norwich.
The supermarket giant will be shutting down its large store in Guildhall Hill in May 2022.
The company said that it has secured a new site nearby at an undisclosed location.
A Tesco spokesman said: “We have been served notice on the lease of our Norwich Guildhall Hill Express store which will close in May 2022.
"We serve a fantastic community in Norwich and remain committed to the city.
"We are very pleased to have secured a site for a new Express store nearby and look forward to continuing to serve the local area.”
The building was previously the much-celebrated Chamberlin's Department Store until its closure in the 1950s.
Plans were given the go ahead in June this year to turn Chamberlain House into a 91-bed hotel, with work expected to start next summer.
- 1 Shabby shed being used by car hobbyist is 'planning breach', council says
- 2 'It was a shock' - Burglars raid newsagent after smashing window with axe
- 3 MP to hold meeting over huge patient backlog at city surgery
- 4 Busy Norwich city centre road closed due to accident
- 5 'I was a bit gutted' - What change of crest means for Norwich City tattoo fans
- 6 Couple's horror at 'mindless vandalism' as Christmas lights torn down
- 7 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 8 Man who founded Norwich vet hospital retiring after 33 years
- 9 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 10 5 of the best heated pub gardens in Norwich