Ten years of running and £50,000 later but Richard keeps on fundraising
- Credit: Archant
He has raised more than £50,000 for charity over the past 10 years and now Richard Dade is ready to undertake the challenge of taking part in 10 different runs over the rest of the year to celebrate his decade of running.
Over the years his fundraising has supported many different charities, mainly cancer related, and this year Mr Dade, who lives in Earlham, is aiming to raise £10,000 for the Brain Tumour Charity - which funds scientific and clinical research into tumours.
The father-of-five, who works as a commercial and fleet specialist at Duff Morgan Citroen, has chosen to raise money for the charity as many of his friends and family members have been affected by brain tumours.
Mr Dade said: 'I've lost friends to tumours and my cousin was 33-years-old when he had a tumour, although it was benign. I think it's important that people realise how common brain tumours are.'
The keen runner, who is also coaches an under 16s football team had never run before he started his first charity challenge – but now tries to run at least 40 miles a week.
You may also want to watch:
'I was initially inspired to take up running when I watched my brother complete the London Marathon in 2005, I then promised myself that I would one day do the same,' said the 45-year-old who has now taken part in nine London Marathons. 'Although I said I would never do it again after the first one.'
Mr Dade's fundraising antics he confesses has made his wife a 'running widow' but has said she has 'always been incredibly supportive' and is incredibly grateful he is able to fundraise.
- 1 Ex-Canaries striker seals Championship move
- 2 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 3 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 4 Revealed: New Anglia Square talks take place
- 5 New bid to limit city centre offices being turned into flats
- 6 New hotel could 'destroy character of Norwich Lanes'
- 7 'Dull as dishwater' - Fans in Norwich pub react to draw
- 8 Community shock after teenager knocked unconscious as robbers steal trainers
- 9 Big screen unveiled in pub garden for England's Auld Enemy clash
- 10 Have you visited any of these 'haunted' ruins in Norwich?
'I think there are people who are far worse off then me and the fact I can do something to help and a lot of people can't, it drives me on.
'I don't think about the amount I've raised, maybe one day I'll look back and be proud of what I've achieved. I'm just very thankful I've had such generous people who have supported me over the years.'
To sponsor Richard, visit www.virginmoneygiving.com/richarddade
For more information about the Brain Tumour Charity, visit www.thebraintumourcharity.org
Are you taking part in a major fundraising challenge? Email email@example.com