Teenage girl saves mum’s life
A teenage girl saved her mum from choking to death by using a medical procedure she had seen on television.
When Amelia Hosking saw her mum in trouble, she immediately called an ambulance.
But concerned the paramedics would not be able to arrive in time, the 14-year-old took matters into her own hands and performed the Heimlich manoeuvre after remembering it from a real-life television medical drama.
Today proud mum Sharon, 41, said she owed her life to her daughter who has learning difficulties and who remained calm throughout the drama at their Bowthorpe home.
Mrs Hosking, of Brennewater Mews, said she was eating a small chocolate nut bar at about 9pm, adding: 'One of the nuts got lodged in my throat and I couldn't breathe. I went blue in the face and staggered over to the kitchen sink.'
You may also want to watch:
Amelia had gone to bed and was upstairs, but heard her mother choking.
The Sidestrand Hall School pupil said: 'She was hacking her guts up and I thought it was maybe another asthma attack.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 3 Hopes raised former pub could become community hub
- 4 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 5 'People are fed up with roasts': Chef ditches Sunday dinner takeaways
- 6 Covid team to knock on Norwich doors to get people to self-isolate
- 7 Two arrested over robbery incidents at post office and shop
- 8 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
- 9 21 bins left on street sparks debate on keeping pavements clear
- 10 Sex offender used secret Twitter account to post indecent material
'As soon as I saw her I knew something was wrong and my brain went blank and for a moment I didn't know what to do.
'I rang the ambulance but knew they would be too long and this popped into my head because I have been watching medical programmes.'
Amelia placed her hands on her mum's abdomen and performed the Heimlich manoeuvre to dislodge the nut just in time, as by then her mum was starting to faint from lack of oxygen.
Mrs Hosking said: 'It came flying out. I was absolutely in tears afterwards and so proud of her. I hugged her and said thank you.
'She was very calm and she didn't panic.
'When the paramedics came they took my blood pressure and heart rate and said that Amelia had done their job for them.
'I'm just so glad that she knew how to do it. We've only got each other and she told me she was worried about what would happen if she lost me.
'If people took a few more first aid courses, then if they end up in a similar situation they will know what to do and it could make the difference between life and death.'
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said of the incident on November 21: 'The actions of Amelia had already been brought to the attention of managers in the trust precisely because what she did was so remarkable.
'We applaud her for thinking and acting so quickly in what must have been a very stressful situation.
'What she did potentially saved her mother's life and we plan to recognise this with the presentation of a certificate of commendation by the crew involved.'
Do you have a story about a remarkable life saver? Contact health reporter Kim Briscoe on 01603 772419 or email email@example.com.