'Trapped in Taverham': Frustration at roadworks bombardment in village
- Credit: Caroline Karimi-Ghovanlou
Villagers say they feel bombarded by roadworks just as society is opening up again - and have criticised the council for a decided "lack of wisdom" over timing.
People living in Taverham have had a week of frustration as they say Norfolk County Council and Anglia Water have together "trapped everyone in the village" by setting up roadworks and traffic diversions at multiple sites across the area.
Works are currently in place along Taverham Road, Fir Covert Road and Fakenham Road, with road re-dressing either completed or ongoing at Pendelsham Rise, Long Dale, School Road and Bellomonte Crescent in the last week.
Anglia Water, meanwhile, is dealing with planned mains repair at Orchard Bank and urgent mains repair on Sandy Lane, which are due to be completed this week.
Norfolk County Council said the Fir Covert works related to the building of a new Lidl, with others forming part of a maintenance project which will see 305 miles of Norfolk's roads get a new seal to "extend the life of the road, prevent potholes opening up and help reduce accidents".
You may also want to watch:
Its spokesperson said: "Residents receive prior notification of the works by leaflet drop and we are very grateful for their co-operation in moving parked cars to allow us to complete the work."
However one resident, Laura Jayne, said: "It's just unbelievable that, as the country and area has started to open up again, Norfolk County Council in its lack of wisdom now decide to carry out roadworks on every road leading in and out of the village.
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 3 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 4 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 5 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 6 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 7 'Diabolical' - Fury over trees felled for road widening scheme
- 8 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 9 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
"Even if we wanted to go anywhere we can't as there are road works everywhere.
"All the diversion routes are being re-gravelled too - it's just bizarre.
"We're literally trapped in Taverham."
Caroline Karimi-Ghovanlou, district councillor for Taverham North, said on Monday she encountered six different sets of traffic restrictions in the village.
"What baffles me is why Anglia Water and the county council don't talk to each other and devise a joined-up approach which will minimise disruption", she said.
"At the moment I think we've got about three sets of roadworks and lights, but it was horrendous over the weekend and into Monday.
"School runs at the bottom of Sandy Lane just descend into chaos.
"We've just come out of a lockdown. I know there was lots of staff absences due to Covid, but these works should have been done then.
"It's extremely frustrating."