Taverham RAC patrolman in for award
Matthew SparkesThree local men have been nominated for a national award for going above and beyond their duty as RAC patrolmen.Matthew Sparkes
Three local men have been nominated for a national award for going above and beyond their duty as RAC patrolmen.
Steve Neil, 50, from Taverham, Trevor Spong, 40, from Carlton Colville and Richard Jermy, 39, from Freethorpe have all been shortlisted for the RAC's Patrol Ambassador of the Year Award.
The company, which is owned by Norwich-based insurance firm Aviva, has around 2,000 patrol staff across the whole country but only around 45 are nominated each year.
The award is given to nominees who have gone the extra mile to help customers throughout the year, despite working in dangerous conditions on the side of the road in all weathers.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Spong, lead patrol for Norwich, said: 'We've just got a good standard amongst us. We've won team of the year twice before.'
'I think the guys always try to deliver the best thing for the customers.'
- 1 In photos: Norwich transformed but deserted in lockdown snowfall
- 2 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 3 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 4 Drag Race star kicks off BBC show stint with Norwich City theme
- 5 Tributes paid to 'happy and giggly' woman who died aged 23
- 6 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 7 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 8 Pizza and Yorkshire pudding wrap takeaway opening in Norwich
- 9 'Village would be worse without it' - Owner on plans for 17th century pub
- 10 'Extraordinary' outbreak of Covid in Norwich prison
Mr Jermy, said that he enjoyed the job and that it was a completely different way of working to being in a garage.
'We do the emergency stuff, getting people on the road,' he said.
'We're like the paramedics, where garages are like the doctors.'
The three men and their partners will be treated to a weekend break with a black tie ball at Gaydon Park in the West Midlands.
RAC will announce the winner of the award on March 27.