Taverham RAC patrolman in for award
Matthew SparkesThree local men have been nominated for a national award for going above and beyond their duty as RAC patrolmen.Matthew Sparkes
Three local men have been nominated for a national award for going above and beyond their duty as RAC patrolmen.
Steve Neil, 50, from Taverham, Trevor Spong, 40, from Carlton Colville and Richard Jermy, 39, from Freethorpe have all been shortlisted for the RAC's Patrol Ambassador of the Year Award.
The company, which is owned by Norwich-based insurance firm Aviva, has around 2,000 patrol staff across the whole country but only around 45 are nominated each year.
The award is given to nominees who have gone the extra mile to help customers throughout the year, despite working in dangerous conditions on the side of the road in all weathers.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Spong, lead patrol for Norwich, said: 'We've just got a good standard amongst us. We've won team of the year twice before.'
'I think the guys always try to deliver the best thing for the customers.'
- 1 Former City skipper a frontrunner for Swansea job
- 2 Body of man in 20s found at nature reserve near Norwich
- 3 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 4 Norfolk hit by thunderstorms and heavy hail
- 5 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 6 New 20mph speed cameras to tackle NDR rat-runners
- 7 Large estate to have its first food store this autumn
- 8 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 9 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
- 10 Plans to remove crossing in £440k works branded 'crazy' by councillors
Mr Jermy, said that he enjoyed the job and that it was a completely different way of working to being in a garage.
'We do the emergency stuff, getting people on the road,' he said.
'We're like the paramedics, where garages are like the doctors.'
The three men and their partners will be treated to a weekend break with a black tie ball at Gaydon Park in the West Midlands.
RAC will announce the winner of the award on March 27.