Taverham RAC patrolman in for award
Matthew SparkesThree local men have been nominated for a national award for going above and beyond their duty as RAC patrolmen.Matthew Sparkes
Three local men have been nominated for a national award for going above and beyond their duty as RAC patrolmen.
Steve Neil, 50, from Taverham, Trevor Spong, 40, from Carlton Colville and Richard Jermy, 39, from Freethorpe have all been shortlisted for the RAC's Patrol Ambassador of the Year Award.
The company, which is owned by Norwich-based insurance firm Aviva, has around 2,000 patrol staff across the whole country but only around 45 are nominated each year.
The award is given to nominees who have gone the extra mile to help customers throughout the year, despite working in dangerous conditions on the side of the road in all weathers.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Spong, lead patrol for Norwich, said: 'We've just got a good standard amongst us. We've won team of the year twice before.'
'I think the guys always try to deliver the best thing for the customers.'
- 1 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 2 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 3 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 4 Community in shock as murder investigation launched
- 5 Suburb's shock after mugging attempt leaves teen laying on path
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 8 Veterans plan alternative Remembrance Service after council's is cancelled
- 9 Speed signs to FINALLY be installed at 'accident hotspot'
- 10 Charity boss in battle with driver who keeps nicking loading space
Mr Jermy, said that he enjoyed the job and that it was a completely different way of working to being in a garage.
'We do the emergency stuff, getting people on the road,' he said.
'We're like the paramedics, where garages are like the doctors.'
The three men and their partners will be treated to a weekend break with a black tie ball at Gaydon Park in the West Midlands.
RAC will announce the winner of the award on March 27.