Take part in the Norwich Sleep Out to help city’s homeless
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
The Norwich Evening News today gives its full backing to an initiative aiming to tackle one of the biggest challenges facing the city.
We have teamed up with youth homelessness charity the Benjamin Foundation to encourage 150 people to take part in what will be its largest fundraising event to date.
The 2016 Norwich Sleep Out will challenge people to spend one night sleeping rough in order to highlight the issue of homelessness. It also aims to raise vital funds for the charity's work with vulnerable young adults across the county.
Chris Elliot, marketing and fundraising manager, said: 'This is our biggest fundraising event of the year by a long way. The strength of it is that it's not only a big fundraiser, but it also gives people a flavour of the issues we tackle.
'Our sleep-out is not like being homeless, but it does make you appreciate the challenges that come with sleeping outside during winter.'
You may also want to watch:
David Powles, editor of the Evening News, said: 'The Benjamin Foundation fulfils a vital role in our city and we are delighted to be supporting it in this way.'
Some 70 people braved the elements last year for the charity's first official sleep-out.
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 Enjoy afternoon tea on Britain's poshest train departing from Norwich
- 3 'No help to us' - Mixed views on £6.1m street revamp
- 4 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 5 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 6 Business fears for Christmas trade if council doesn't fix traffic 'chaos'
- 7 'She shouted for 90 minutes': Councillor guilty of harassing railway staff
- 8 Child sex abuse victim: 'I'm still angry, but haven't let him ruin my life'
- 9 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 10 Former policeman in court in Norwich charged with rape and assaults
The event raised £17,000 for the organisation, some of which has since been used to fund training and social activities for the young people it supports.
Mr Elliott said: 'I'm confident we will be able to reach our target of 150 people because we have lots of people who did it last year saying they will do it again and they are keen to get more people involved with them.'
Rachele Kelsall, head of community development at Hugh J Boswell, is just one of many who have already agreed to take part this November.
Along with her co-workers, Oliver Whitham, 28, and Shane Ford, 26, she helped raise £1,000 for the charity during last year's challenge.
The 47-year-old said: 'I think essentially the work that the charity does is so important. And at a time when the public sector budget is being squeezed, more provision will need to be provided by charities such as the Benjamin Foundation.'
This year's sleep out takes place in the car park of Marsh, on Queens Road in Norwich.
It starts on Friday, November 11 from 7pm through to 7am the following day. Food will be available during the evening, and people will be able to make themselves hot drinks.
Mr Elliott said: 'If you have a passion for helping young adults who have had a really tough start in life, and you want to do something that gives you a flavour of what being homeless might be like, while raising money for a charity that helps people, then this is the event for you.'
People over 18 can sign up from today at www.benjaminfoundation.co.uk/sleep-out
If you are taking part, call reporter Luke Powell on 01603 77 2684 and we will publicise your efforts.