Surrey Tavern in Surrey Street reopened as pub by three Norwich brothers
Three lookalike Norwich brothers who never pulled a pint before have taken over a city centre pub which used to be popular with nearby Norwich Union/Aviva staff.
Brothers David, 34, Nick, 31, and Dan Hubbard, 27, have reopened The Surrey Tavern in Surrey Street which closed last year. Their mother Joan also helped out by picking the colour of the ladies' toilets.
The brothers previously worked in different careers, but their grandfather used to run pubs in Barrow-in-Furness in Cumbria, so the pub bug has just skipped a generation. Grandfather William Sorrie also played for Barrow in the rugby league challenge cup final in the 1950s.
Before taking on the pub, Nick was a painter/decorator and David was a manager at nearby John Lewis. As well as helping at the pub, Dan still works at an out of hours doctors' service in Norwich.
David said: 'We have already had some good feedback from Aviva staff who are really glad the pub is back open. 'Nick and I were both looking for a change of scenery career-wise, so we thought, why not give it a try? We have never done anything like this before, but are looking forward to it.'
You may also want to watch:
The pub will be open seven days a week with live music and quizzes planned as evening entertainment.
The Evening News' Love Your Local campaign urges people to support pubs.
- 1 Tudor Stores reopens as manager resigns over safety fears
- 2 Caravan catches fire in Norwich
- 3 Armed police called to reports of man with knife
- 4 'It's very bad'-Trade decline frustration at stores as roadworks take place
- 5 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 7 Key route into city closes for a week for safety improvement work
- 8 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 9 Five people spiked at three Norwich venues over the weekend
- 10 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
To see more stories from the campaign visit ww.eveningnews24.co.uk/loveyourlocal.
If you've got a pub story call reporter David Bale on 01603 772429 or email firstname.lastname@example.org