Former Norwich School pupil set to paddleboard around Mallorca for charity
- Credit: cat friend and valerie brisbal
A former Norwich School pupil is aiming to be one of the first to circumnavigate the Spanish island of Mallorca on a Stand Up Paddle Board.
Cat Friend, 28, from Sprowston is planning to undertake the 555km trip over 21 days with Valerie Brisbal from Mallorca.
The pair will embark on their journey from Port Soller on June 1. Their aim is to raise awareness of marine pollution and provide funds for conservation projects in the Balearic Sea.
'The oceans are a spiritual home for Valarie and me,' said Miss Friend. 'Everyday we see plastic pollution in the ocean and litter on the beaches.
'Knowing how this kills wildlife and poisons the food-chain, it's impossible not to act. We just needed to do our own bit for the planet and set ourselves some challenges for the year.'
Their initial fundraising target is £10,000 and all money raised will go to the Asociacion Ondine which works to enable conservation projects.
The finish point of the venture is on the north coast.
- 1 City teen named Ikea drops furniture brand as first name
- 2 Escaped giant eagle owl spotted in Norwich city centre
- 3 Toddler died after getting trapped between stair gates
- 4 Norwich chippy ranked as one of best in UK
- 5 City flat with spiral staircase and balcony bedroom for sale for £190k
- 6 'She died alone': Plea to raise funds for Ruth who died before Christmas
- 7 Owner of 'thriving' cheesecake business now looking to open shop
- 8 'It drives my wife crazy' - See inside Norwich fan's footy mancave
- 9 Schools face classroom closures due to Covid
- 10 Road plunged into darkness after street light not fixed for two months
Miss Friend, says paddle boarding is something she has taken up recently.
She previously rowed for Norwich School and has been a member of the Norfolk Punt Club on Barton Broad for many years.
For more information or to follow the pair's progress visit sollertosoller.com