Former Norwich School pupil set to paddleboard around Mallorca for charity
- Credit: cat friend and valerie brisbal
A former Norwich School pupil is aiming to be one of the first to circumnavigate the Spanish island of Mallorca on a Stand Up Paddle Board.
Cat Friend, 28, from Sprowston is planning to undertake the 555km trip over 21 days with Valerie Brisbal from Mallorca.
The pair will embark on their journey from Port Soller on June 1. Their aim is to raise awareness of marine pollution and provide funds for conservation projects in the Balearic Sea.
'The oceans are a spiritual home for Valarie and me,' said Miss Friend. 'Everyday we see plastic pollution in the ocean and litter on the beaches.
'Knowing how this kills wildlife and poisons the food-chain, it's impossible not to act. We just needed to do our own bit for the planet and set ourselves some challenges for the year.'
You may also want to watch:
Their initial fundraising target is £10,000 and all money raised will go to the Asociacion Ondine which works to enable conservation projects.
The finish point of the venture is on the north coast.
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 3 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 4 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 5 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
- 6 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 7 All the fish and chip shops in Norwich with 5-star hygiene ratings
- 8 Motorcyclist injured after crash on Norwich road
- 9 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 10 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
Miss Friend, says paddle boarding is something she has taken up recently.
She previously rowed for Norwich School and has been a member of the Norfolk Punt Club on Barton Broad for many years.
For more information or to follow the pair's progress visit sollertosoller.com