Former Norwich School pupil set to paddleboard around Mallorca for charity
- Credit: cat friend and valerie brisbal
A former Norwich School pupil is aiming to be one of the first to circumnavigate the Spanish island of Mallorca on a Stand Up Paddle Board.
Cat Friend, 28, from Sprowston is planning to undertake the 555km trip over 21 days with Valerie Brisbal from Mallorca.
The pair will embark on their journey from Port Soller on June 1. Their aim is to raise awareness of marine pollution and provide funds for conservation projects in the Balearic Sea.
'The oceans are a spiritual home for Valarie and me,' said Miss Friend. 'Everyday we see plastic pollution in the ocean and litter on the beaches.
'Knowing how this kills wildlife and poisons the food-chain, it's impossible not to act. We just needed to do our own bit for the planet and set ourselves some challenges for the year.'
You may also want to watch:
Their initial fundraising target is £10,000 and all money raised will go to the Asociacion Ondine which works to enable conservation projects.
The finish point of the venture is on the north coast.
- 1 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 2 Number of homes for derelict site could be increased to 200
- 3 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 4 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 5 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 6 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 7 City centre street set to close at weekend
- 8 Cactus shop selling £95 plants opens in Norwich phone box
- 9 Cannabis dealer had more than £8300 in cash stashed away
- 10 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
Miss Friend, says paddle boarding is something she has taken up recently.
She previously rowed for Norwich School and has been a member of the Norfolk Punt Club on Barton Broad for many years.
For more information or to follow the pair's progress visit sollertosoller.com