Sprowston: Rain doesn't stop families having fun
Sam EmanuelHundreds of people braved the unpredictable weather yesterday to enjoy a massive family picnic event at a high school on the outskirts of Norwich.Sam Emanuel
Hundreds of people braved the unpredictable weather yesterday to enjoy a massive family picnic event at a high school on the outskirts of Norwich.
The event, held at Sprowston Community High School as part of the National Family Week celebrations, saw people of all ages enjoying activities including a gladiator duel, a bungee run, giant games, a mega slide, a children's bouncy castle, fairground rides, music workshops and story-telling sessions from BeWILDerwood.
National Family Week is a nationwide government-backed initiative which aims to encourage families to spend time together.
Although it rained on the morning of the event, most of the activities were moved inside and people still enjoyed the family-themed day.
You may also want to watch:
The school was one of just eight places in the UK to be chosen to host a family week picnic yesterday, and the organisers were delighted with the turn-out.
Malcolm Johnston, community events coordinator at the school, said: 'We've probably had a couple of hundred people, which isn't bad considering it rained all
- 1 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 2 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Four fire crews called to car blaze in Norwich garage
- 7 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 8 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 9 Military begin coronavirus support at hospital
- 10 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
'We've got the inflatables and the storytelling inside, and we've got a giant bap on stage which was donated by Warburtons and measures about 2ft by 3ft.
'As we are in the heart of an expanding community, and are a community school, we're really pleased to be involved with this National Family Week event, and we would like to thank them for the support they've given us. We're also very grateful to the activity providers for venturing despite the rain.'
Are you organising a community event? Call Sam Emanuel on 01603 772438 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.