Spamalot to show on Norwich stage
Ben KendallPopular musical Spamalot - based on the classic comedy film Monty Python and The Holy Grail - is on its way to Norwich Theatre Royal.Ben Kendall
Popular musical Spamalot - based on the classic comedy film Monty Python and The Holy Grail - is on its way to Norwich Theatre Royal.
With a cast headed by former EastEnders, The Bill and Grange Hill actor Todd Carty, will take to the stage from October 4 to 9. Using the miracles of 21st century technology, Python star Eric Idle will also play the part of God from the poolside of his LA home.
Theatre spokesman John Bultitude said: 'This show is guaranteed to put a smile on the face of Norwich and the surrounding area this autumn. It has been described as the most infectiously funny musical of the millennium and some might say it sets musical theatre back 1000 years - in a good way.'
Spamalot has been a smash-hit in the West End and on Broadway winning three Tony Awards and being nominated for eleven more. Written by Idle and John Du Prez, it tells the legendary story of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
It also boasts a number of tunes including He Is Not Dead Yet, Knights Of The Round Table and the 2009 Favourite Comedy Song - Always Look On the Bright Side Of Life.
The show marks a return to the stage for Todd Carty who made his theatre debut at the New London Theatre on Drury Lane where he played the lead in Lionel - the musical based on the life of legendary musical composer Lionel Bart.
- 1 The top 7 fish and chip shops in Norwich according to Tripadvisor
- 2 Supporters' fears that Spurs game at Carrow Road may turn nasty
- 3 Nursery confirms closure following financial battle
- 4 'I'm considering living on a boat because houses are so expensive'
- 5 Man arrested after hundreds of cannabis plants seized in city
- 6 Finishing touches added to new Tesco store in city centre
- 7 Two drivers writing on notepads among 21 motorists caught in 90 minutes
- 8 Controversial work to weld bridge shut cancelled after legal row
- 9 City folk baffled after being barricaded into their own homes
- 10 Fashion boutique to shut with FOUR MONTH closing down sale
The show will also mark a return to Norfolk for cast member Amy Papa, who has been a member of the cast in the annual Thursford Christmas Spectacular which runs over the festive season.
Mr Bultitude added: 'The show is sure to prove popular with Norwich Theatre Royal audiences with tickets going on sale to Friends of The Theatre and the public later in the month. Specific dates will be announced shortly.'
t Contact the box office on 01603 630000 or book online at www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk