Sounds of America fill Norwich library
A city library was in full swing this weekend as a five-month project celebrating Norfolk's links with north America came to a close.
The free Sounds of America event at the Millennium Library yesterday marked the finale of the Norfolk library's American Connections project, which has seen more than 100 events including exhibitions, plays, film festivals and children's activities take place across the county since the launch in July.
During the day, there were performances by Norwich bluegrass band The Broad Cut Drifters, visitors were able to dance to vintage American tunes and there was a talk about the influence that the 'Friendly Invasion', which saw around 50,000 United States 8th Army Air Force personnel stationed in the county at any one time during the Second World War, had on Norfolk's music scene.
Barry Stone, cabinet member for cultural services at Norfolk County Council, said: 'Norfolk's American Connections has been a very special project.
'Through a programme of entertaining events and activities it has enlightened thousands of people of all ages about a part of our county's past that has had a big influence on Norfolk's identity over hundreds of years.
You may also want to watch:
'I would like to thank all the partners involved in the project for their fantastic work in making this happen'
The project was made possible by a grant of nearly �50,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
- 1 Chaos on ‘free-for-all' city street after double yellows disappear
- 2 Shoe outlet opens first city centre branch in former Carphone Warehouse
- 3 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 4 Golden Triangle pub goes up for sale for half a million
- 5 Pensioner can't leave home because of 'obstacle course' outside
- 6 Mayhem at some petrol pumps - but how are other city garages faring?
- 7 Mayhem across city as drivers race to the petrol pumps
- 8 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 9 'Amazing' teen denied urgent mental health referral weeks before death
- 10 Can you spot yourself at Let's Rock Norwich?
For more on the project, go to www.norfolksamericanconnections.com.