Six-year-old Lakenham boy to star in Cleopatra
A young dancer from Norwich has been selected to perform with one of the country's top ballerinas at the Theatre Royal next week.
Callum Crowe, six, who attends Bignold Primary School, in Wessex Street, has been selected to play a prince in the Northern Ballet's production of Cleopatra which arrives at the Theatre Royal next Tuesday.
He said: 'I am really excited about it, I'm not at all nervous. I enjoyed performing in the Lord Mayor's Procession, I felt happy on stage. I have been practising walking on stage. It is my big dream to be a dancer.'
Callum's dance teacher, Bryony Moore, from Slanted Dance, said: 'Callum has been with us for about a year. His first big show was the Lord Mayor's procession in July. It was a pretty big deal for him and Cleopatra is a massive step up in terms of audience numbers.'
Slanted Dance was approached by Northern Ballet and Miss Moore and her friend Meg Howard, who run the school together, thought Callum, who lives in Barrett Road, Lakenham, would be ideal for the part.
Ms Moore added: 'He is a very confident little boy, he has got a bit of a spark. This opportunity hasn't happened to one of our students before, it's nice that they know that we teach a range of styles.'
Callum's mum, Jane, said: 'I'm very proud, he is so excited at the moment. I will be backstage at every show. It was a big shock when he was asked, we were so surprised. He just takes everything in his stride. He hasn't been to the theatre before.'
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 House swap sees woman move into home infested with fleas
- 3 Sweet Briar Road 'still on track' to reopen by end of May
- 4 Your chance to meet The Bill star who has moved to Norfolk
- 5 Norwich man wins jackpot on BBC game show Pointless
- 6 £3,000 worth of beauty products stolen from Sainsbury's store
- 7 High-end boutique reopens in its former shop
- 8 We built this city: Meet the firm behind some of Norwich's famous landmarks
- 9 5 affordable homes for first-time buyers currently for sale in Norwich
- 10 Eight-bed detached house in NR3 up for auction for £300k
See Friday's Going Out section of the Evening News to find out what entertainment is happening in and around Norwich.
Do you have a story about a youngster with exceptional talent? Contact reporter Lucy Wright on 01603 772495 or email email@example.com