Sewell Barn theatre set to raise the curtain on dark comedy
Final rehearsals are under way at the Sewell Barn in Norwich for the theatre's next production, which opens on Thursday.
The Constitution Hill's theatre and drama group are preparing to raise the curtain on The Lieutenant of Inishmore by Martin McDonagh on Thursday.
It is a dark comedy set on a remote Irish island, telling the story of an Irish terrorist who returns home to find that his cat has been killed, and two local men have farcically tried to cover up its death. The play is the first to have been staged at the 100-seat Sewell Barn since the theatre's foyer was renovated this summer, and is being directed by Michelle Montague, one of the theatre's joint artistic directors.
She said: 'The play is a brilliant satire on terrorism, a powerful statement about not just the Irish troubles, but violence and terrorism in general. However it is offered to the audience as a hilarious farce.' Jack Bannon plays the central character Padraic, with Eleanor Robinson as Mairead, Neil Auker as Donny and Scott Brown as Davey.
The theatre's 2012 and 2013 season also includes Flare Path by Terence Rattigan and Maurice by E.M Forster, as well as Bedlam by Nell Leyshon and Silly Cow by Ben Elton. The Sewell Barn is based in the grounds of Sewell Park College (formerly Blyth-Jex school).
It has produced more than 200 plays since being founded in 1980.
The Lieutenant of Inishmore runs from October 11 to 13, and 17 to 20, with a matinee on the 20th.
- 1 Everything you need to know about the Sweet Briar Road closure
- 2 Norwich cocktail bar and restaurant relaunches with new name and menu
- 3 Sewage seeps through floorboards and blocks sinks in apartment block
- 4 Supporters' fears that Spurs game at Carrow Road may turn nasty
- 5 Why NR3 is being dubbed the 'new Shoreditch'
- 6 Jailed in Norfolk: Drug dealer and man who raped teenage girl
- 7 Two men charged in connection with Class A drug dealing in Norwich
- 8 Fashion boutique to shut with FOUR MONTH closing down sale
- 9 Huge 'magazine worthy' bungalow near Norwich is back up for sale for £1.1m
- 10 Finishing touches added to new Tesco store in city centre
Tickets can be bought from Customer Services, 2nd Floor, Jarrolds, Norwich, or call 01603 697248. Visit www.sewellbarn.org for further information.