Sewell Barn theatre set to raise the curtain on dark comedy
Final rehearsals are under way at the Sewell Barn in Norwich for the theatre's next production, which opens on Thursday.
The Constitution Hill's theatre and drama group are preparing to raise the curtain on The Lieutenant of Inishmore by Martin McDonagh on Thursday.
It is a dark comedy set on a remote Irish island, telling the story of an Irish terrorist who returns home to find that his cat has been killed, and two local men have farcically tried to cover up its death. The play is the first to have been staged at the 100-seat Sewell Barn since the theatre's foyer was renovated this summer, and is being directed by Michelle Montague, one of the theatre's joint artistic directors.
She said: 'The play is a brilliant satire on terrorism, a powerful statement about not just the Irish troubles, but violence and terrorism in general. However it is offered to the audience as a hilarious farce.' Jack Bannon plays the central character Padraic, with Eleanor Robinson as Mairead, Neil Auker as Donny and Scott Brown as Davey.
The theatre's 2012 and 2013 season also includes Flare Path by Terence Rattigan and Maurice by E.M Forster, as well as Bedlam by Nell Leyshon and Silly Cow by Ben Elton. The Sewell Barn is based in the grounds of Sewell Park College (formerly Blyth-Jex school).
You may also want to watch:
It has produced more than 200 plays since being founded in 1980.
The Lieutenant of Inishmore runs from October 11 to 13, and 17 to 20, with a matinee on the 20th.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 Norwich named UK's most romantic destination
- 5 City staff facing 'mass burnout' but what is behind the extreme exhaustion?
- 6 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 7 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 8 Petrol attack shopkeeper opens spice shop and restaurant in former pub
- 9 Fresh plans for rooftop bar on St Stephens
- 10 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station
Tickets can be bought from Customer Services, 2nd Floor, Jarrolds, Norwich, or call 01603 697248. Visit www.sewellbarn.org for further information.