Seventeen rescued in beach drama
Sam EmanuelA baby and a child were among 17 people cut off by the tide who had to be rescued by lifeboats and a helicopter in near gale-force winds this eveningThe party had been visiting Scolt Head at Burnham Overy Harbour when they were stranded in their summer clothes on the island, surrounded by the rough sea.Sam Emanuel
Five young children and a baby were among 17 people who had to be rescued by lifeboats and a helicopter in near gale-force winds last night after being cut off by the tide.
The two parties of day trippers had been visiting Scolt Head at Burnham Overy Harbour when they were stranded in their summer clothes on the island, surrounded by the rough sea.
The conditions were too rough for the inshore lifeboat, meaning a lifeboat from Hunstanton and a bigger boat from Wells attended, as well as a rescue helicopter from Wattisham and a team of coastguards. Eventually, a ferry was brought in to rescue them.
One of the groups consisted of four adults and three children, and the other consisted of seven adults and three children, including a baby. No-one was hurt, but they had been wearing summer clothes and were cold and wet.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the Yarmouth coastguard said: 'There were two separate parties. They were on the island for quite a long time in unsuitable clothing, and they had the presence of mind to call us on 999 on a mobile phone once they realised they had been cut off.
'We received a call at 7.15pm and at that time they were a bit concerned but not too worried, but with us knowing what the weather would do we knew it wasn't going to be as nice as they thought.
- 1 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 2 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 5 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 6 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 7 Should straight people go into queer clubs and bars?
- 8 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 9 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 10 Norwich man wanted by police
'They got back here at about 9pm and were checked over by ambulance crews, but they were just cold and wet.'