Seventeen rescued in beach drama
Sam EmanuelA baby and a child were among 17 people cut off by the tide who had to be rescued by lifeboats and a helicopter in near gale-force winds this eveningThe party had been visiting Scolt Head at Burnham Overy Harbour when they were stranded in their summer clothes on the island, surrounded by the rough sea.Sam Emanuel
Five young children and a baby were among 17 people who had to be rescued by lifeboats and a helicopter in near gale-force winds last night after being cut off by the tide.
The two parties of day trippers had been visiting Scolt Head at Burnham Overy Harbour when they were stranded in their summer clothes on the island, surrounded by the rough sea.
The conditions were too rough for the inshore lifeboat, meaning a lifeboat from Hunstanton and a bigger boat from Wells attended, as well as a rescue helicopter from Wattisham and a team of coastguards. Eventually, a ferry was brought in to rescue them.
One of the groups consisted of four adults and three children, and the other consisted of seven adults and three children, including a baby. No-one was hurt, but they had been wearing summer clothes and were cold and wet.
A spokesman for the Yarmouth coastguard said: 'There were two separate parties. They were on the island for quite a long time in unsuitable clothing, and they had the presence of mind to call us on 999 on a mobile phone once they realised they had been cut off.
'We received a call at 7.15pm and at that time they were a bit concerned but not too worried, but with us knowing what the weather would do we knew it wasn't going to be as nice as they thought.
- 1 House swap sees woman move into home infested with fleas
- 2 £3,000 worth of beauty products stolen from Sainsbury's store
- 3 Woman with incurable cancer left devastated after car and jewellery stolen
- 4 Eight-bed detached house in NR3 up for auction for £300k
- 5 Your chance to meet The Bill star who has moved to Norfolk
- 6 Party in the Park coming to Norwich with global food, stalls and music
- 7 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 8 Homes plan for former Start-Rite shoe factory site rejected
- 9 Independent city store 'honoured' to be named UK's retailer of the year
- 10 Norwich man charged with kidnap after posing as a taxi driver
'They got back here at about 9pm and were checked over by ambulance crews, but they were just cold and wet.'