Seventeen rescued in beach drama
Sam EmanuelA baby and a child were among 17 people cut off by the tide who had to be rescued by lifeboats and a helicopter in near gale-force winds this eveningThe party had been visiting Scolt Head at Burnham Overy Harbour when they were stranded in their summer clothes on the island, surrounded by the rough sea.Sam Emanuel
Five young children and a baby were among 17 people who had to be rescued by lifeboats and a helicopter in near gale-force winds last night after being cut off by the tide.
The two parties of day trippers had been visiting Scolt Head at Burnham Overy Harbour when they were stranded in their summer clothes on the island, surrounded by the rough sea.
The conditions were too rough for the inshore lifeboat, meaning a lifeboat from Hunstanton and a bigger boat from Wells attended, as well as a rescue helicopter from Wattisham and a team of coastguards. Eventually, a ferry was brought in to rescue them.
One of the groups consisted of four adults and three children, and the other consisted of seven adults and three children, including a baby. No-one was hurt, but they had been wearing summer clothes and were cold and wet.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the Yarmouth coastguard said: 'There were two separate parties. They were on the island for quite a long time in unsuitable clothing, and they had the presence of mind to call us on 999 on a mobile phone once they realised they had been cut off.
'We received a call at 7.15pm and at that time they were a bit concerned but not too worried, but with us knowing what the weather would do we knew it wasn't going to be as nice as they thought.
- 1 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 2 Man, 47, in court on murder charge after Thorpe stabbing
- 3 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 4 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 5 Long-suffering A11 drivers to benefit as 50-year-old road replaced
- 6 Man due in court charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 7 Pet carer service's appeal to survive after Covid and faulty van struggles
- 8 Meat factory for sale for £1.2million earmarked for homes
- 9 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 10 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
'They got back here at about 9pm and were checked over by ambulance crews, but they were just cold and wet.'