Search begins for someone to run Eaton Park Café
- Credit: Archant
A popular café could be closed until the New Year as a hunt begins for new tenants.
Eaton Park Café – by the rotunda in the south Norwich green space – shut earlier this month after the lease expired.
The spot has become a central point for runners and families, and the end of tenancy sparked concern in the local community over its future.
Owners Norwich City Council has said finding new people to take over was a priority, and has promised a pop-up business while a replacement is found.
The chairman of Friends of Eaton Park, Helen Mitchell, said the space is popular and used by a range of groups throughout the week and at the weekend. Park Run, a free 5K race around the park, now draws up to 500 people every weekend, and well as floodlit tennis courts and a miniature railway proving a hit with families.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Mitchell, 51, of Mornington Road, said: 'This park is really valuable to the community. It is thriving and there is a lot of interest in the cafe.'
A spokesman for Norwich City Council said a mobile café will be booked to provide drinks and snacks at the park in the next two weeks.
- 1 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 2 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 3 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 4 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 5 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
- 6 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 7 New £64,000 bus lane could cut 80 seconds off journeys
- 8 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
- 9 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 10 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
He said the intention was for the pop-up to continue until the café reopens its doors, which could be in the new year.
'The café is available for a new tenant, so our priority is to find someone to make the most of a great opportunity and complement the park's existing high-quality facilities,' he added.
'We've asked for feedback from a range of park users about the sort of service provision they'd like to see to establish another thriving business in a fantastic city location.
'We want to get the new café up and running as quickly as possible but in the meantime are sourcing a mobile concession that will meet people's needs.'
If you are interested in the cafe, call NPS Norwich on 01603 227967 or 227966
Do you have a news story to tell? Email firstname.lastname@example.org