Schools: Hundreds of children perform
Sam EmanuelThe beautiful singing of Norfolk school pupils was music to their teachers' ears as they performed the result of months of hard work in a series of concerts last week.Sam Emanuel
The beautiful singing of Norfolk school pupils was music to their teachers' ears as they performed the result of months of hard work in a series of concerts last week.
More than 230 children from 30 schools around Norwich took part in the Central Area Schools Music Association (CASMA) performances at St Andrew's Hall, which were enjoyed by parents, friends and members of the public.
The theme was music hall songs, and the children sang numbers including I Do Like to be Beside the Seaside, I'm Henry the Eighth I am and Any Old Iron, with some audience participation.
They also sang specially-composed songs from the Kett Kollection by Anthony Bailey, a local teacher and composer, which were about Robert Kett.
You may also want to watch:
One of the conductors, Maureen Hanke said: 'Many children each year will never have sung in public before, or in such an imposing building, or with so many others. For some it is the first time they hear a live orchestra or ensemble. It is an experience they will always remember.
'For our annual celebration all the children learn the same songs which are rehearsed in school with their own music teacher who receives training sessions and a recording of the songs and word sheets, and also in workshop sessions with the CASMA conductors.'
- 1 Up and coming Norwich musician reaches number 13 in UK charts
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 6 Drink-driver caught on flyover after police spot 'worrying' driving
- 7 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 8 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 9 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
- 10 'A little bit of hope' - Care home manager look back on last 10 months
The schools which took part were Lingwood, Blofield, Horsford, Mile Cross, Lionwood, Avenue, Worstead, St William's, St Michael's Bowthorpe, St Thomas Moore, Buxton, Coleman, Woodland View, Mundesley, George White, Taverham, Morley, Attleborough, Wicklewood, Hillside, Tuckswood, Thurton, Salhouse, Coltishall, White Woman Lane, Little Plumstead, Drayton, Henderson Green, Eaton and Firside.
Do you have a story for Local Life? Call Sam Emanuel on 01603 772438 or email email@example.com.