Schools: Hundreds of children perform
Sam EmanuelThe beautiful singing of Norfolk school pupils was music to their teachers' ears as they performed the result of months of hard work in a series of concerts last week.Sam Emanuel
The beautiful singing of Norfolk school pupils was music to their teachers' ears as they performed the result of months of hard work in a series of concerts last week.
More than 230 children from 30 schools around Norwich took part in the Central Area Schools Music Association (CASMA) performances at St Andrew's Hall, which were enjoyed by parents, friends and members of the public.
The theme was music hall songs, and the children sang numbers including I Do Like to be Beside the Seaside, I'm Henry the Eighth I am and Any Old Iron, with some audience participation.
They also sang specially-composed songs from the Kett Kollection by Anthony Bailey, a local teacher and composer, which were about Robert Kett.
You may also want to watch:
One of the conductors, Maureen Hanke said: 'Many children each year will never have sung in public before, or in such an imposing building, or with so many others. For some it is the first time they hear a live orchestra or ensemble. It is an experience they will always remember.
'For our annual celebration all the children learn the same songs which are rehearsed in school with their own music teacher who receives training sessions and a recording of the songs and word sheets, and also in workshop sessions with the CASMA conductors.'
- 1 Woman taken to hospital after police incident in Norwich
- 2 Man, 47, in court on murder charge after Thorpe stabbing
- 3 Eager shoppers queue for opening of 20-year-old's vintage clothing shop
- 4 Story behind this famous photo of when Norwich went electric in 1957
- 5 Long-suffering A11 drivers to benefit as 50-year-old road replaced
- 6 Man due in court charged with murder after fatal stabbing in Thorpe
- 7 Pet carer service's appeal to survive after Covid and faulty van struggles
- 8 Meat factory for sale for £1.2million earmarked for homes
- 9 'Good riddance' - Norwich fans react to European Super League plans
- 10 Man detained under mental health act after Norwich disturbance
The schools which took part were Lingwood, Blofield, Horsford, Mile Cross, Lionwood, Avenue, Worstead, St William's, St Michael's Bowthorpe, St Thomas Moore, Buxton, Coleman, Woodland View, Mundesley, George White, Taverham, Morley, Attleborough, Wicklewood, Hillside, Tuckswood, Thurton, Salhouse, Coltishall, White Woman Lane, Little Plumstead, Drayton, Henderson Green, Eaton and Firside.
Do you have a story for Local Life? Call Sam Emanuel on 01603 772438 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.