Save the Brickmakers hits more than 7,500 signatures in less than 24 hours
- Credit: EDP pics © 2011(01603) 772434
Our Save the Brickmakers campaign has got off to a flying start with more than 7,500 signatures in less than a day.
It was set up because after 15 years at the heart of Norwich's live music scene, The Brickmakers is being forced to close – due to a potentially 'crippling' 12 per cent rent increase.
Doors are set to shut for good on January 29 2019, as the owners are unable to pay the increased rent to Ei Publican Partnerships.
The Norwich Evening News Save the Brickmakers campaign is hoping to stop the closure - and show how much affection there is for one of the city's most popular pubs.
Many people who have signed the petition, on Change.org, have also said why.
You may also want to watch:
Matthew Owen said: 'Live music is an essential part of the culture of Norwich. The Brickmakers is a big part of that music scene. I've spent many an evening there watching loads of bands, they were all brilliant because they were up on stage, doing what they loved doing.
'OK some were better than others but the place has been one of our principle music venues for so many years now. What kind of people would we be if we were to just give in without putting up a fight for this place?'
- 1 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 2 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 3 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 4 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Drag Race star Bimini spotted shopping in Norwich
- 7 Masterplan for 4,000-homes Colman's regeneration to go on show
- 8 Britain's poshest train came to Norwich and Ipswich and it was pure luxury
- 9 Samson and Hercules building reopens under new owners
- 10 Teen motorcyclist taken to hospital after crash with bus in Norwich
Shirley Perkins said: 'This pub attracts customers far and wide across the country, how the thought of closing such a reputable business is the best thing for the company was decided I really don't know- but they have got it wrong!'
Charlotte Ebrill said: 'Because at some point every Norfolk music lover has ended up at the Brickmakers.'
Please sign our petition here to show your support and help protect Norwich's grass roots music scene.