Review: The Hunt
Lucas (Mads Mikkelsen) is a divorced man working in a nursery in a small Danish village. Life seems to be ticking along well enough until one of the children makes an entirely false accusation of inappropriate sexual behaviour against him and his whole world falls in.
The Hunt is a circle of hell constructed solely from good intentions and reasonableness.
The mechanics of tragedy are often self defeating. The manipulation needed to manoeuvre characters to the abyss subtracts from the sense of loss. In The Hunt, the way events quickly explode and fly out of hand is wholly and horribly plausible.
What really gets you is that everybody is more or less blameless. The worst you could say about anybody is that they succumb to a certain panicked hysteria.
Usually such tales allow you the space to feel that you'd have behaved better in those circumstances. In The Hunt there may be the depressing realisation that you'd have done exactly the same, or much worse.
You may also want to watch:
Director Thomas Vinterberg has had an underwhelming career since he made his name with the first Dogma movie, Festen, but this is the work of a man at the height of his powers. It's exquisitely well made and performed, realistic but not drab, balanced without being a cop out.
Also, given Philip Schofield's Neville Chamberlain act – 'I have in my hand a piece of paper, there are paedophiles in our time' – a film about the dangers of paedophile witch hunts is fortuitously timed
- 1 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 2 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 3 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 4 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Drag Race star Bimini spotted shopping in Norwich
- 7 Masterplan for 4,000-homes Colman's regeneration to go on show
- 8 Britain's poshest train came to Norwich and Ipswich and it was pure luxury
- 9 Samson and Hercules building reopens under new owners
- 10 Teen motorcyclist taken to hospital after crash with bus in Norwich
THE HUNT (15)
Director: Thomas Vinterberg
Starring Mads Mikkelsen, Thomas Bo Larsen, Annika Wedderkopp, Lasse Fogelstr�m, Susse Wold and Anne Louise Hassing
Length: 114 mins