Review: Spiegel Swing-Hop
Eve StebbingBo Nanafana is well known to be the best party in Norwich, and tickets are at a premium. Even on a Wednesday night they were completely sold out.Eve Stebbing
Spiegeltent, Chapelfield Gardens
Bo Nanafana is well known to be the best party in Norwich, and tickets are at a premium. Even on a Wednesday night they were completely sold out.
As I arrived, however, the Spiegel tent was empty, people sat here and there like guests at Rick's Cafe whilst conjuror Bob Percy wandered the tables; Haidee Bishop in her black polka dot frock taught Charleston and DJ Chuckles on the decks kicked off the party with a mixture of hip hop and vintage numbers.
Swiftly the room was full.
Imagine you suddenly found yourself on the set of Moulin Rouge crammed into a big, dancing crowd with Nicole Kidman swinging above, you've got it.
- 1 See inside this 'stunning' £700k family home for sale in a Norwich suburb
- 2 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 3 Former Norwich restaurant to be transformed into £1.5m food hall
- 4 Family living in city's 'worst' council house despair over new damp
- 5 Mum-to-be outraged after yobs vandalise 13 cars in suburb
- 6 Huge food festival with Liberty X and S Club All Stars heading to Norwich
- 7 'Such a shame': Independent card shop announces closure with sale
- 8 Graduate outraged after being handed tax bill for unoccupied student digs
- 9 Extra security measures approved for flats plagued by drug use
- 10 Norwich's tiniest pub completes facelift
And just like a bunch of film extras, we were all in costume. The lights spun, the music became frenetic, we were possessed by the mood of the night.
It seems rude not to mention the huge number of local and national acts involved, so I'm going to write you a list for future reference: Swing City - local dance trainers; Ida Barr - Dalston based music hall, hip hopping granny; DJ Kormac - vintage electronica; The Correspondents - swinging retro rap; Mabel and Edye - mute clowns from the silver screen; Les Folies - spoof French songs; the nuclear family - creating havoc with a loudspeaker and Radio Barkus - just cool.