Review: Spiegel Swing-Hop
Eve StebbingBo Nanafana is well known to be the best party in Norwich, and tickets are at a premium. Even on a Wednesday night they were completely sold out.Eve Stebbing
Spiegeltent, Chapelfield Gardens
Bo Nanafana is well known to be the best party in Norwich, and tickets are at a premium. Even on a Wednesday night they were completely sold out.
As I arrived, however, the Spiegel tent was empty, people sat here and there like guests at Rick's Cafe whilst conjuror Bob Percy wandered the tables; Haidee Bishop in her black polka dot frock taught Charleston and DJ Chuckles on the decks kicked off the party with a mixture of hip hop and vintage numbers.
You may also want to watch:
Swiftly the room was full.
Imagine you suddenly found yourself on the set of Moulin Rouge crammed into a big, dancing crowd with Nicole Kidman swinging above, you've got it.
- 1 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 2 Police still at scene of daylight knife attack
- 3 Traffic shake-ups put forward for four roads in Norwich
- 4 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 5 Hethersett student offered place at prestigious music school
- 6 Work under way to build new Lidl alongside NDR
- 7 Office plan revealed for part of disused city pub
- 8 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 9 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 10 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
And just like a bunch of film extras, we were all in costume. The lights spun, the music became frenetic, we were possessed by the mood of the night.
It seems rude not to mention the huge number of local and national acts involved, so I'm going to write you a list for future reference: Swing City - local dance trainers; Ida Barr - Dalston based music hall, hip hopping granny; DJ Kormac - vintage electronica; The Correspondents - swinging retro rap; Mabel and Edye - mute clowns from the silver screen; Les Folies - spoof French songs; the nuclear family - creating havoc with a loudspeaker and Radio Barkus - just cool.