Review: Spiegel Swing-Hop
Eve StebbingBo Nanafana is well known to be the best party in Norwich, and tickets are at a premium. Even on a Wednesday night they were completely sold out.Eve Stebbing
Spiegeltent, Chapelfield Gardens
Bo Nanafana is well known to be the best party in Norwich, and tickets are at a premium. Even on a Wednesday night they were completely sold out.
As I arrived, however, the Spiegel tent was empty, people sat here and there like guests at Rick's Cafe whilst conjuror Bob Percy wandered the tables; Haidee Bishop in her black polka dot frock taught Charleston and DJ Chuckles on the decks kicked off the party with a mixture of hip hop and vintage numbers.
You may also want to watch:
Swiftly the room was full.
Imagine you suddenly found yourself on the set of Moulin Rouge crammed into a big, dancing crowd with Nicole Kidman swinging above, you've got it.
- 1 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 2 'They're blaming me' - Social housing tenant angry over state of flat
- 3 Body found at Mousehold Heath there for 'considerable amount of time'
- 4 Pupils will start September term in different school over safety fears
- 5 More storms ahead as flood warnings remain in place
- 6 Where are the best rooftop bars in Norwich?
- 7 'A great guy' - Tributes to much-loved City fan who travelled home and away
- 8 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 9 More than a dozen arrests in Norwich on Saturday night
- 10 Perfect plaices? Three fish and chip firms go up for sale
And just like a bunch of film extras, we were all in costume. The lights spun, the music became frenetic, we were possessed by the mood of the night.
It seems rude not to mention the huge number of local and national acts involved, so I'm going to write you a list for future reference: Swing City - local dance trainers; Ida Barr - Dalston based music hall, hip hopping granny; DJ Kormac - vintage electronica; The Correspondents - swinging retro rap; Mabel and Edye - mute clowns from the silver screen; Les Folies - spoof French songs; the nuclear family - creating havoc with a loudspeaker and Radio Barkus - just cool.