Review: Love Like Poison
A young girl's coming of age mixed up with strong Catholic faith would seem to be a potent brew but Katell Quill�v�r�'s debut film is underplayed and naturalistic.
Fourteen-year-old Anna (Clara Augarde) returns home from a Catholic boarding school to Brittany to discover that her father has left home and her mother (Lio) is an emotional wreck.
While her distraught parent seeks comfort in the Church, young Anna prepares for her confirmation and finds her salvage in the words of her grandfather Jean (Michel Galabru).
A local boy called Pierre (Youen Leboulanger-Gourvil), who has little time for God in his freewheeling life, proves a catalyst for Anna's sexual awakening and the teenager must wrestle with a maelstrom of emotions as she takes the first tentative steps towards womanhood.
This is the kind of film where some strange little scene will strike you as wonderful for no particular reason. For me it was the one where the boy coaxes the young priest to join a game of football and he resists before suddenly throwing off his jacket and running on to the pitch and asserting himself into the game with a flurry of activity.
You may also want to watch:
In the next scene we see him puffed out and excited by the game. It doesn't really seem to be saying anything in particular but it really makes you believe in the depth of these characters and the truth of the situation.
The plot is familiar stuff but delivered with such nuance and detail you suspect it might have been taken directly scene by scene from Quill�v�r�'s own upbringing.
- 1 Landlord fined £6,100 for state of Norwich apartment block
- 2 Extinction Rebellion protesters arrested for smashing Barclays windows
- 3 Vulnerable 15-year-old brought to Norwich from London to deal drugs
- 4 Streets of Norwich packed as lockdown rules ease
- 5 Third time lucky for historic pub's reopening
- 6 Tables fill at restaurants and pubs as bar serves 450 on reopening day
- 7 Norwich pub's shock after city council refuse outdoor seating bid
- 8 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 9 Work starts to transform former bakery into £13m site
- 10 Robbie Savage: 'Never mind Stuart Webber, it's all down to me'
Love Like Poison (15)
Director: Katell Quillevere
With: Clara Augarde, Lio, Michel Galabru, Stefano Cassetti and Youen
Length: 92 mins