Review: How Like An Angel
Norwich Cathedral hosted the European premiere of an astounding piece of acrobatic dance theatre, that gripped and overwhelmed JAMES GOFFIN.
There's an inscription in one of the chapels at Norwich Cathedral that reads 'except for the still part there would be no dance'.
In How Like An Angel that still point is a transfixed, emotionally toyed with audience that sits in the heart of the church as a phenonemal combination of music and physical theatre unfolds around them.
A collaboration between Australian circus company Circa and vocal ensemble I Fagiolini, the show was first performed in Australia, where it received some criticism for being performed in cathedrals.
But they seem a perfect venue, not just for the blend of spiritual choral music that pervades the performance – the small choir literally pursuing the audience with original and traditional music from across the centuries and continents.
You may also want to watch:
The dance mixes daring aerial moves with physical, catwalk theatricality, as the 'angels' falteringly grow accustomed to their bodies, collaborative and playful at first. With confidence comes arrogance and competiveness – literally climbing the pole in a allegory that matches Paradise Lost.
This is an astounding and awe-inspiring group of strong and powerful actor-acrobats backed by an inspiring score. A true testament, as Hamlet's words suggest, to the glory of man – and some would say the glory of God.
- 1 Resurfacing works to see closures on three busy city roads
- 2 People in Norwich fined £21k for failing to pay for prescriptions
- 3 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 4 Roadworks to be aware of in Norwich this week
- 5 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 6 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 7 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 8 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 9 Enjoy afternoon tea on Britain's poshest train departing from Norwich
- 10 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
t How Like an Angel will be performed at Ely Cathedral on July 2 and 3.