Review: 30 Minutes Or Less
One of the specialities of the Coen Brothers is portraying criminality as banal, chaotic and idiotic. In his follow up to Zombieland, Ruben Fleischer attempts something similar in a mainstream setting.
It's the story of two inept loafers (Danny McBride and Nick Swardson) who attach a bomb jacket to a hapless pizzadelivery boy (Jesse E-isenberg) and force him to rob a bank for them.
It's like Fargo but, you know, for kids.
The film has laughs but little pleasure. It's a mean little film with a dim view of its potential audience. The charac-ters' lives revolve around eating crap, talking crap and watching crap.
It mocks its audience's coarse stupidity, while offering it a serving of the exact same with a pretence of irony.
You may also want to watch:
The main problem is that it fails to get you to buy into its situation. You never believe that two wasters like McBride and Swardson could even conceive such a scheme let alone have the conviction of their stupidity to fol-low through on it.
Similarly, very little Eisenberg does while under the duress of wearing an explosive device makes sense – espe-cially the ease with which he persuades his best friend Ansari to join him in the bank robbery.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 3 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 4 Campaigners angry as park hedge cut down for tennis court scheme
- 5 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
- 6 'Unacceptable': Council hits out at soiled clothing left in public toilets
- 7 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 8 CCTV shows man who used stolen bank card at three Norwich stores
- 9 Norwich woman's new cookie company has 'gone crazy'
- 10 Dinosaur-themed food trail running in Norwich restaurants this summer
It also seems casually unconcerned about his, absolutely terrifying, dilemma.
Of course, it's bad timing coming out just a few weeks after the news story about an Australian teenage girl who endured an agonising 10 hours in a fake neck bomb.
But the film is supposedly based on a tragic true story (that of Brain Douglas Wells should you want to look it up), so a little empathy wouldn't go amiss.
Fleichsher's smart, funny and visually arresting debut film Zombieland suggested he could be something special, but you'd never guess this was by the same man. The casting doesn't help.
Eisenberg always seems too smart to be this dead end delivery boy and Anzari's main comic weapon is an incon-gruously whiney voice is approximately 33 per cent as annoying as Chris Tucker.
30 MINUTES OR LESS (15)
Director: Ruben Fleischer
Starring: Jesse Eisenberg, Danny McBride, Aziz Ansari, Nick Swardson, Michael Pena and Fred Ward.
Length: 83 mins