Religious leaders in Norwich condemn crucified Santa artwork
Religious leaders have condemned 'artwork' showing Father Christmas hanging on a cross which was put up on the side of a house in Norwich.
As previously reported in the Evening News, the crucified Santa Claus became something of a talking point for people in the Silver Road area after it went up outside a house at the junction with Wodehouse Street a few days before Christmas.
The installation, which has now been taken down, prompted anger from some people with one man, who did not want to be named, reporting the matter to police and branding it 'disgusting'.
Those sentiments were echoed by the Rev Simon Ward, the bishop of Norwich's chaplain, who said: 'The Christian faith has a long association with good people who suffer, indeed that is its function and story right through the ages.
'It's sad that a sacred, religious symbol has been treated in a light-hearted way that offends people.'
You may also want to watch:
Police confirmed they had received a complaint on Monday, December 19 from a member of the public who reported that he found an external Christmas decoration on a property in Silver Road, Norwich, religiously offensive.
Clem Cudiddlehopper, 74, who created it and used to run a second-hand shop from the site, previously told the Evening News: 'It's something different, just something designed to get some thinking.
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 3 Eight men arrested after multiple stabbing in Norwich
- 4 Charity boss in battle with driver who keeps nicking loading space
- 5 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 6 Norwich man crowned Britain's Best Young Chef
- 7 Tenants living in freezing, dark flats after power went out FIVE days ago
- 8 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 9 Owner of popular bakery rushed into intensive care 120 miles from home
- 10 Speed signs to FINALLY be installed at 'accident hotspot'
'That's what it's all about – you ask a kid what Christmas is all about and it's Santa, nothing about religion. It's Santa or presents.'
Have you got a crime story? Call reporter Peter Walsh on 01603 772436 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org