Relay race raises much-needed funds for Big C
- Credit: Archant
Its members have already helped two ladies fight cancer, and a running club has hosted a fundraising relay event to support the Big C charity.
On November 16 the Longdale Striders, based in Thorpe Marriott, held a three-hour endurance relay in Catton Park.
This year two of the group's female members have positively fought cancer, finding running has helped with the process, as has the support of the group.
The endurance relay involved teams of unlimited runners, as well as individuals who decided the taken on the challenge as a solo runner.
During the three hours each team had to complete as many 1.9-mile laps as possible, handing the baton to another team member at the end of each lap.
A spokeswoman for the group said: 'We also had a raffle and sold refreshments to raise funds for Catton Park.
'The whole day far exceeded our expectations and it was a lovely event with lots of the children taking part. It had a real family feel.
- 1 City folk baffled after being barricaded into their own homes
- 2 All you need to know ahead of The Killers concert at Carrow Road
- 3 Fears Spurs fans may infiltrate home end at Norwich City match
- 4 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 5 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 6 New Japanese bar and restaurant plans to open in Norwich next month
- 7 Do you own one of these toys which are selling for £1,000?
- 8 One-bed maisonette is up for sale in one of the coolest parts of Norwich
- 9 Owners of taco and gourmet burger trailers open restaurant in Norwich
- 10 School sacks suspended teacher after investigation and petition
'The most laps completed by one team was 14 and by an individual, 11.
'We had 156 runners in 47 teams, completing 428 laps and 813.2 miles.
'We would like to thank everyone who helped us make this happen and everyone who took part.'
The event raised £1,345.31 for the Big C, including T-shirt sales, and £370 for Catton Park.
Do you have a community news story? Email firstname.lastname@example.org