Reader Letter: Please respect shopworkers this Christmas
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
I want to gently remind your readers to remember that shopworkers are people as well.
For many this is always an exciting time, but we know it can be frantic trying to get everything ready for the big day.
They will be working really hard to make your shopping experience as stress-free and enjoyable as possible.
A recent Usdaw survey showed that every minute of the working day another shopworker is verbally abused, threatened with violence or physically attacked.
Shopworkers tell us that incidents are more frequent throughout the Christmas and new year period when shops are busier, customers can be stressed and are more likely to take out their frustration on staff.
You may also want to watch:
Talking to our members who work in retail, I know that verbal abuse cuts deep.
Many will go home after a shift upset about an unpleasant incident that took place at work that day and worried that it will happen to them again.
- 1 Norfolk fuel update: Football match called off as crisis reaches day five
- 2 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 3 Queues and pump closures continue across city
- 4 Police called as Horsford tree-hacker strikes again
- 5 'Goth' mum heckled in street hits back at haters
- 6 Norwich nostalgia: Visit Eaton Park in the 1990s
- 7 Cob yobs launch crops at homes in bizarre attack
- 8 Winners of the Eat Out Norwich Awards 2021 announced
- 9 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 10 Mysabar is BACK! City's cosy outdoor bar returns for another Christmas
That is why Usdaw, the shopworkers' union, is running a Respect for Shopworkers campaign, asking customers to 'Keep your Cool at Christmas'.
It's a simple message, but remembering that shopworkers are working extra hard at this time and treating them with respect will mean that everyone can have a happier Christmas.
With seasons greetings.
John Hannett, General Secretary, Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers (Usdaw)