Reader letter: Norwich needs a proper concert venue
- Credit: PA
I would like to agree with previous correspondents regarding a purpose-built concert venue.
Norwich is growing at such an alarming rate - it seems ridiculous that we haven't got such a venue already. The UEA, Waterfront, Open, Maddermarket, St Andrew's Hall are not fit for purpose. I think Norwich should be hosting music festivals like Download every year. What do we get? 'Norwich Rocks' - a bunch of 80's pop acts propping up their pensions. Why can't we have Metallica, UFO, Scorpions, Black Stone Cherry, Faith No More, Soundgarden, ZZ Top, Alice Cooper all on one big weekend in the summer?
Bands seem to play here and never return. We either get them before they're famous or get them when they've finished being famous - Norwich might as well be Norway. When they tour in the UK - it's always South, Midlands, North-East and West, Scotland, London, but it's never Norwich. Why?
We should have an O2 size concert venue. If we can waste £178m on a road no one wants, why can't we spend council money on something we really need - a concert venue.
You may also want to watch:
• Tony Self, Sprowston
- 1 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 2 New BBQ takeaway set to open in Norwich
- 3 'We do everything correctly': Norwich takeaway handed one star hygiene rating
- 4 To cross or not to cross? Pledge to trim back danger hedge at blind corner
- 5 'Sneaky and selfish' changes to bus route slammed
- 6 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 7 Inconvenience store: Family business blighted by roadworks
- 8 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 9 'We will come back stronger': Norwich restaurant to close for rebranding
- 10 Bars, restaurants and shops - Five new openings in Norwich this September