Reader letter: Norwich needs a proper concert venue
- Credit: PA
I would like to agree with previous correspondents regarding a purpose-built concert venue.
Norwich is growing at such an alarming rate - it seems ridiculous that we haven't got such a venue already. The UEA, Waterfront, Open, Maddermarket, St Andrew's Hall are not fit for purpose. I think Norwich should be hosting music festivals like Download every year. What do we get? 'Norwich Rocks' - a bunch of 80's pop acts propping up their pensions. Why can't we have Metallica, UFO, Scorpions, Black Stone Cherry, Faith No More, Soundgarden, ZZ Top, Alice Cooper all on one big weekend in the summer?
Bands seem to play here and never return. We either get them before they're famous or get them when they've finished being famous - Norwich might as well be Norway. When they tour in the UK - it's always South, Midlands, North-East and West, Scotland, London, but it's never Norwich. Why?
We should have an O2 size concert venue. If we can waste £178m on a road no one wants, why can't we spend council money on something we really need - a concert venue.
You may also want to watch:
• Tony Self, Sprowston
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 City fan park takes shape ahead of England's Euro 2020 opener
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 'People love it' - Landlady opens second pub in Earlham Road
- 5 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 6 Police seal off building site in Norwich
- 7 Stylish bungalow to rent on edge of Norwich - and it even has a hot tub
- 8 Police cordon remains in place after serious sex assault in Norwich
- 9 Man who took baby from Norfolk hospital to be sentenced
- 10 Woman arrested after city centre row