Reader Letter: Norwich mustn't get congestion charging
- Credit: Archant
Congestion charging is a dreadful idea.
Norwich city centre needs all the help it can get, why would the council want to try to kill it off?
If it did go ahead my experience of a few years ago needs to be considered.
We were visiting relatives in Durham and were looking round the city centre when my brother was taken ill.
Not seriously enough for an ambulance but we needed a taxi to get him home.
No chance, there was no way a taxi would enter the congestion charge zone.
An explanation and promise to pay the congestion charge was just met with “yes we’ve heard that before.”
- 1 'We will come back stronger': Norwich restaurant to close for rebranding
- 2 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 3 New BBQ takeaway set to open in Norwich
- 4 Bus services to be cancelled and changed amid driver shortage
- 5 To cross or not to cross? Pledge to trim back danger hedge at blind corner
- 6 Warning to others after mum breaks leg using park zip wire
- 7 Former teacher who abused young boys handed 25-year sentence
- 8 Diggers roll into village as work begins on 267 home development
- 9 Famous Norwich firm locked in legal battle with Red Bull
- 10 'We do everything correctly': Norwich takeaway handed one star hygiene rating
We eventually managed to get him on a bus and out of the dreaded exclusion zone, but it was quite worrying for a while.
That situation must never be allowed to happen in Norwich.
Brian Beckett, Locksley Road, Norwich.