Reader Letter: Mechanisation is causing unemployment in our city’s shops
- Credit: Archant Norfolk 2010
I am becoming very concerned about the number of machines we are expected to use.
In Poundland in Anglia Square, one has to use a machine to pay for one's purchases.
Also in the Post Office on St Stephens, if one does not want to wait in a queue, you have to use a machine to get stamps.
There are other establishments who use machines for their customers to pay, supermarkets, etc.
One day there just won't be any personal service, only machines.
Using machines causes unemployment, and many over 60s will find this automation difficult, when one gets older, technical things get beyond us.
I feel this situation is very worrying, there will be machines, with more unemployment.
- 1 TUI flight to Tenerife cancelled as it was on the tarmac
- 2 Emergency services called to person in water on Prince of Wales Road
- 3 New Tesco store opens in city centre
- 4 Traffic builds around Earlham Park as gates open for Let's Rock
- 5 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 6 Mystery over who needs to cut overgrown hedge amid safety fears
- 7 Parents 'terrified' after THIRD run-in with cars driving on pavement
- 8 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 9 Can you help trace this Norwich man's next of kin?
- 10 'I went to hospital with dental pain - it turns out I had cancer'
June Wilson, Brewers Court, Norwich