Reader Letter: 'How could ignorant lout deface war memorial?'
- Credit: Submitted
A reader has written to us to express their 'anger and disgust' after the Norwich War Memorial was vandalised on the weekend after a 'Kill the Bill' protest.
"It was very sad to learn and has made many folks angry and disgusted, that during the weekend's "Kill the Bill" protest, we had to have some ignorant lout, deface our War Memorial by spraying the aforementioned three words, onto the Memorial.
"Why aren't these people taught that the countrywide memorials are there for us all, to remember the very many service personnel killed or seriously injured in wars, to protect our freedoms today?
"It is sickening to think these poor people died for what? Also, why didn't any of these brave people at the protest stop this person from defacing the memorial?
"The Bill in question is backed by the majority. It simply doesn't want to stop protesting, just the violence against the public, emergency services, and damage/defacing to buildings, statues and memorials."
You may also want to watch:
Steve Streeter, Norwich.
- 1 'Our lives are being destroyed': Neighbours' despair over noisy students
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 'The final straw' - Bakery fears closure over council plans
- 4 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 5 'Dream come true': Norwich restaurant wins national award
- 6 Diversions in place on A47 near Norwich due to flooding
- 7 Norwich man wanted by police
- 8 Mum's pleas to move house denied despite GP's concerns over wellbeing
- 9 Norwich man convicted of murder boasts of mutilating 'up to 30' cats
- 10 See inside this quirky bungalow for sale near Norwich railway station