Reader letter: Join us to discuss how to stop the stampede to war
- Credit: AP
The Trump speech to the United Nations marks a new low even for this president.
Fixing on North Korea, whose president he derided as 'rocket man', he claimed that the US would have no choice but to destroy the country to 'defend itself'.
Apparently this brought gasps from those politicians and diplomats unfortunate enough to have to listen to this speech.
When the tension between the US and North Korea is already at high levels over nuclear testing on one hand and the siting of US troops and missiles on the other, Trump's speech is designed to ratchet these up even further.
Tonight at 7pm, at Friends' Meeting House, Upper Goat Lane, Norwich NR2 1EW, Norfolk CND and Norwich Stop the War Coalition will be jointly hosting a public meeting on this issue, to which all are invited.
You may also want to watch:
Speakers are Ian Chamberlain, National Officer, Stop the War Coalition, Adrian Holmes (Green Party) and Ra Mason (lecturer in International Relations and Japanese Foreign Policy).
Join us to discuss how to stop the stampede to war.
- 1 Norwich firm fined £1m over explosion which killed much-loved father
- 2 'Sneaky and selfish' changes to bus route slammed
- 3 Man appears in court over Thorpe St Andrew murder
- 4 Inconvenience store: Family business blighted by roadworks
- 5 Man found in city flat named at inquest
- 6 Eyesore tags or street art? Artists on graffiti 'tagging' trend
- 7 ‘Now is NOT the time’: Bosses’ backlash over congestion charge idea
- 8 Villagers' outrage as trees and hedges axed in ongoing battle
- 9 Hungry and helpless: Rough sleepers' fears ahead of harsh winter
- 10 YOUR REACTION: Should Norwich have a congestion charge?