Reader letter: We’re hoping to reconnect with old friends from Hainford
- Credit: PA
Do you remember Justen and Lynne Karlsson? They're hoping to get back in touch with some old friends from Norwich.
Myself and my wife left our home in Hainford, Norwich in 2010 to live in Luxor, Egypt.
The climate suited us and the people were warm and friendly. Then came the first Revolution, and things changed dramatically, this was followed by a second Revolution and just as we thought things could not get any worse they did, poverty among the local Egyptians is now widespread.
To us we found it hard to see children starving, and their parents looking downtrodden. So we decided to move and started visa application forms to go to our daughter's home in Cairns, Australia, we were almost complete when the English pound plummeted on the Brexit vote. The pound against the Australian dollar also went up and for a retired couple it made it too expensive to move.
We looked then at other cheaper places to go to so we could enjoy warm climates and find ourselves plenty to. We decided on Paphos, Cyprus. We have been in Paphos now 15 months and enjoy everything about it. There are two main seasons, summer and winter, the climate really suits us and our lives have changed from being bored to doing things most nights. We seem to have reverted to teenagers again.
You may also want to watch:
Paphos has a high number of ex-pats, who we have met a few and enjoy an active social life. I have lost a lot of contact with people in Norwich due to me forgetting to back up my contact files when we moved to Paphos and would like to remake contact and keep in touch with Norwich life.
- 1 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Why is it so difficult to buy bottled water?
- 4 Parts of busy Norwich road to be shut for three days for repairs
- 5 Twin Bakes sell out of treats during first pop-up sale
- 6 Norwich pub to temporarily close this summer because of 'pingdemic'
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 Man and woman found dead in home
- 9 See artist's fascinating pictures of Norwich's Castle Mall construction
- 10 £800k roadworks branded 'waste of time and effort'
So if anyone remembers us from eight years ago I would really like to be in contact again. Most of my work was in London, however I did work at Norwich Electrical and Eyre Electrical. My contact e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Justen and Lynne Karlsson