Reader Letter: Equip cyclists to turn lights green in Norwich
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
It would seem some people are unhappy at the amount of activity proposed to improve the lot of cyclists in Norwich.
Maybe the planners have not gone far enough, there are many other improvements that could be provided, for example:
1 Not many cyclists can keep up with the flow of traffic at 20mph, I'm sure 15mph would be better.
2 There are a few steep hills in Norwich, Grapes Hill, Kett's Hill, for example, which are in effect barriers to cyclists. A system of roadside ropes, of the style of a ski-lift would be much appreciated.
3 It would be simple to equip cycles with radio beacons to turn pedestrian traffic lights green for them instead of having to thread their way through pedestrians to proceed on their way as they have to do now.
You may also want to watch:
4 A dedicated cycle track with bridges over the river between the Martineau Lane roundabout and the Yarmouth road would cut out the tedious uphill stretches of Bracondale and King Street.
I'm sure if the thousands of Norwich cyclists were asked, many more equally useful features could be suggested.
- 1 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 2 Number of homes for derelict site could be increased to 200
- 3 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 4 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 5 City centre street set to close at weekend
- 6 Cannabis dealer had more than £8300 in cash stashed away
- 7 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 8 Dutch design could inspire revamp of danger roundabout
- 9 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 10 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
Brian Mitchell, Ellcar Rise, Norwich