Reader Letter: Equip cyclists to turn lights green in Norwich
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
It would seem some people are unhappy at the amount of activity proposed to improve the lot of cyclists in Norwich.
Maybe the planners have not gone far enough, there are many other improvements that could be provided, for example:
1 Not many cyclists can keep up with the flow of traffic at 20mph, I'm sure 15mph would be better.
2 There are a few steep hills in Norwich, Grapes Hill, Kett's Hill, for example, which are in effect barriers to cyclists. A system of roadside ropes, of the style of a ski-lift would be much appreciated.
3 It would be simple to equip cycles with radio beacons to turn pedestrian traffic lights green for them instead of having to thread their way through pedestrians to proceed on their way as they have to do now.
4 A dedicated cycle track with bridges over the river between the Martineau Lane roundabout and the Yarmouth road would cut out the tedious uphill stretches of Bracondale and King Street.
I'm sure if the thousands of Norwich cyclists were asked, many more equally useful features could be suggested.
- 1 House of horrors: Is this the worst council property in Norwich?
- 2 'Fixer upper' lodge home goes up for sale near Norwich city centre
- 3 Store still cordoned off with police tape two months after break-in
- 4 Tourist slapped with £100 parking fine for cash machine stop
- 5 Burger off! Petition launched to scrap new McDonald's plan
- 6 'Not our fault' - City man hits back on abandoned caravan after land dispute
- 7 Burglars smash way into Patisserie Valerie and nab cash
- 8 Battered bus shelter wrapped in police tape after delivery van smash
- 9 'Please help': Family's plea for support for superfan Lily's funeral
- 10 Walker furious as beauty spot 'ruined' by bush chopping
Brian Mitchell, Ellcar Rise, Norwich