Reader letter: Don’t destroy Thorpe Woods to make way for unwanted houses
- Credit: SIMON FINLAY
I find it hard to believe that six years on Socially Conscious Capital (SCC) or Seriously Conniving Capitalists can be allowed to appeal yet again in their bid to destroy Thorpe Woods.
I played in these beautiful woods as a boy more than 35 years ago and have attended several meetings in opposition to this proposed development.
Every time they have been rejected.
MORE: London-based developer appeals refusal of 300-home scheme in Thorpe WoodsThe last time at a local council meeting two young representatives who looked like lost sheep were humiliated by councillors for yet again not being able to provide basic calculations for service charges that would have to be made to residents to pay for upkeep and maintenance of their surrounding area and viable figures for sustainability.
A Broadland Council meeting over two years ago was addressed by Cllr Ian Mackie stating they would not allow any development for at least the next 20 years, yet still they continue.
These woods I believe were passed down from the Gurney family who had managed tthem for some considerable time and had allowed them to flourish into the wildlife haven it is today.
You may also want to watch:
The woods are now in the hands of people who have absolutely no interest in them but to make vast profits for themselves while ruining them for local people who do not need any more houses in an area already struggling with too much traffic and over-stretched services.
- 1 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 2 Tributes to popular Tesco worker with 'sparkling personality'
- 3 Revealed: How much to rent former high street store
- 4 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 5 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 6 Drag Race star Bimini spotted shopping in Norwich
- 7 Masterplan for 4,000-homes Colman's regeneration to go on show
- 8 Britain's poshest train came to Norwich and Ipswich and it was pure luxury
- 9 Teen motorcyclist taken to hospital after crash with bus in Norwich
- 10 Samson and Hercules building reopens under new owners