Reader letter: Delighted by the great vinyl comeback
- Credit: Archant copyright 2011
Re the Derek James feature 'Why Eric is still in the groove after 30 years of classic vinyl'. I think it's great that vinyl has made a comeback and obviously that's good news for Eric White in his Magdalen Street shop.
During my teenage years in the 1980s I started off buying vinyl and I've never thought anything can really beat it.
Vinyl has such a unique sound in my view. There's a 'warmth' to it that you just don't get with the digital sound reproduction of compact discs.
Not only that, but the sheer size of a record gives it an advantage over the CD. This is especially beneficial when you get intricate artwork on the album cover, as much of that amazing detail is lost in the smaller packaging of a CD.
Buying a record always felt like a special 'event' to me and CDs just never had the same effect.
You may also want to watch:
As for iPods and their accompanying docking stations, it's not even a contest. Soulless is the word.
David Garland, Norwich
- 1 Police and SOS Bus see busy night as clubbing returns to city
- 2 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 3 Bars and clubs see busy night as police up patrols
- 4 Neighbours celebrate Norfolk Day bar win with street party
- 5 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 6 Where are the best rooftop bars in Norwich?
- 7 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 8 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 9 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 10 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping