Reader letter: Delighted by the great vinyl comeback
- Credit: Archant copyright 2011
Re the Derek James feature 'Why Eric is still in the groove after 30 years of classic vinyl'. I think it's great that vinyl has made a comeback and obviously that's good news for Eric White in his Magdalen Street shop.
During my teenage years in the 1980s I started off buying vinyl and I've never thought anything can really beat it.
Vinyl has such a unique sound in my view. There's a 'warmth' to it that you just don't get with the digital sound reproduction of compact discs.
Not only that, but the sheer size of a record gives it an advantage over the CD. This is especially beneficial when you get intricate artwork on the album cover, as much of that amazing detail is lost in the smaller packaging of a CD.
Buying a record always felt like a special 'event' to me and CDs just never had the same effect.
You may also want to watch:
As for iPods and their accompanying docking stations, it's not even a contest. Soulless is the word.
David Garland, Norwich
- 1 How Norwich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 2 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 3 'Such a shame': Social media scammer targets Norwich pub
- 4 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 5 'Lives are at risk'-Patients' concerns over surgery appointment struggles
- 6 'Eyesore' bus won't be removed despite neighbours' pleas
- 7 Tenant's despair as council fixes his windows by screwing them shut
- 8 All of Norwich's Christmas opening hours
- 9 'Significant' amount of cash and electronics stolen from city home
- 10 One of Norwich's most photographed homes is up for sale