Reader letter: Delighted by the great vinyl comeback
- Credit: Archant copyright 2011
Re the Derek James feature 'Why Eric is still in the groove after 30 years of classic vinyl'. I think it's great that vinyl has made a comeback and obviously that's good news for Eric White in his Magdalen Street shop.
During my teenage years in the 1980s I started off buying vinyl and I've never thought anything can really beat it.
Vinyl has such a unique sound in my view. There's a 'warmth' to it that you just don't get with the digital sound reproduction of compact discs.
Not only that, but the sheer size of a record gives it an advantage over the CD. This is especially beneficial when you get intricate artwork on the album cover, as much of that amazing detail is lost in the smaller packaging of a CD.
Buying a record always felt like a special 'event' to me and CDs just never had the same effect.
As for iPods and their accompanying docking stations, it's not even a contest. Soulless is the word.
David Garland, Norwich
- 1 TUI flight to Tenerife cancelled as it was on the tarmac
- 2 New Tesco store opens in city centre
- 3 Emergency services called to person in water on Prince of Wales Road
- 4 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 5 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 6 Parents 'terrified' after THIRD run-in with cars driving on pavement
- 7 Traffic builds around Earlham Park as gates open for Let's Rock
- 8 Mystery over who needs to cut overgrown hedge amid safety fears
- 9 Can you help trace this Norwich man's next of kin?
- 10 Sweet Briar Road has now reopened