Rackheath Players prepare for broadway-style performance
A group of theatre enthusiasts from Rackheath are taking on their biggest challenge yet as rehearsals begin for their first production of a Broadway musical.
The Rackheath Players and The Rackheath Youth Theatre have joined forces to put on a production of Little Shop of Horrors.
The chairman of Rackheath Players, Eddie Allison, said: 'As we approach our diamond anniversary, we wanted as many of our shows as possible to have some special significance.
'Rackheath Players started in 1953 so, with Little Shop of Horrors, we've not only got a show with a 1950s vibe, but also one that's a firm favorite with many of our members.'
The passion for this musical, premiered off-Broadway in 1982 before being turned into a cult film starring Rick Moranis and Steve Martin four years later, is no more evident than in the show's director, Laura Dignum.
She said: 'It's like a dream come true. I've loved the movie for as long as I can remember. I'm the third generation of my family who've been members of the group, so Rackheath Players has been a big part of my life. The anniversary in 2013 seemed like too good an opportunity to miss.'
Deciding she would like to direct Little Shop of Horrors towards the beginning of 2010, it was agreed in July last year and planning began straight away with auditions being held in September in an X-Factor-style audition in front of a panel of three judges and a video camera.
- 1 Two neighbouring properties go up for sale - and they both need some TLC
- 2 All you need to know ahead of the Lord Mayor's Celebration 2022
- 3 Buses damaged in city centre collision
- 4 Road closures revealed for Lord Mayor's Celebration
- 5 Blaze sees 20 passengers evacuated from city bus
- 6 New pub landlord welcomes back families and introduces street food menu
- 7 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 8 Mobility scooter trashed by hazardous wheelie bins
- 9 Can you spot yourself in the Lord Mayor's Procession crowd?
- 10 Fine dining Indian restaurant named best in region at awards
'It was quite an experience,' Ms Dignum added.
Little Shop of Horrors is a rock musical telling the story Seymour, a sweet but nerdish young man, his friendship with unlucky-in-love Audrey, and how their luck changes, apparently for the better, when a strange, alien plant finds its way into their lives.
The performances will take place on Thursday, February 24 to Saturday, February 26 at Rackheath Village Hall, Green Lane West, Rackheath.
For more information call the Box Office on 07591 194092 or visit the Rackheath Players website www.rackheathplayers.co.uk.
If you are interested in joining either theatre group, irrespective of experience and to help back stage or front of house call secretary Jenny Howard 01603 721709.
Are you in a club or society and organising an event? Contact Local Life editor Donna-Louise Bishop on 01603 772438 or email email@example.com