Racing into the future as Hevingham model car club recruits new members
A model car racing club which has been running for more than 50 years has held its first open day in a bid to recruit more members.
Presto Park slot racing club, which is based at Pound Farm, the Street, Hevingham, is looking to get more youngsters interested in model car racing.
The club is open to all persons aged 12 and over and gives enthusiasts the chance to race cars on a 97ft permanent four lane braided and routed track which is fully landscaped. The races are run every Wednesday night from 7.30pm to 10pm.
The current track was built by Mike Harvey, who owns the club with his wife Averil, and the track is dedicated to his late father Roy, who first took him to Presto Park in the 1960s.
The club currently has 18 members and Mr Harvey said ideally they would like to raise that number to above 20.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'We have got several adult members and we used to have about five or six youngsters nut now we just have one as the others have gone on to university and college and things like that, so we would like to inject some new blood into the club.'
He said they were looking for people aged 12 and upwards but would be willing to take those from age 10 as well.
- 1 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 2 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
- 3 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 4 Glass smashed and racist graffiti sprayed onto Norwich house
- 5 Langleys toy shop building for rent for £45,000 a year
- 6 Number of homes for derelict site could be increased to 200
- 7 Campaigners angry as park hedge cut down for tennis court scheme
- 8 City centre street set to close at weekend
- 9 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 10 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
Speaking about the open day event he said: 'It went really well. We had well over 40 people come, families mainly and as a result of the day three people have joined up.'
He said six or seven young peopled aged about ten had also expressed an interest in wanting to join when they are a little older in about a year or so.
Mr Harvey added: 'We are really pleased with how it has gone.'
To contact the club, call 01603 754319 or visit www.prestopark.co.uk
Do you know of a club looking for more support? Email email@example.com