Queen Charlotte set to re-open
Lucy Bolton Local live music in Norwich has been dealt another blow after the popular Queen Charlotte venue shut down for financial reasons. Landlord Kevin Grantham has closed the pub after less than two years in charge.
A popular live music venue in Norwich is to re-open.
In what looked to be a another blow for the live music scene, the Queen Charlotte, in Dereham Road, had closed suddenly 10-days ago.
The closure came as a blow to many Norwich bands for whom the pub is a popular venue. In recent months the pub had attracted a number of high profile performers, including King Creosote, Gallows and Catherine Feeney who chose it to stage her Norwich farewell show.
You may also want to watch:
Now landlord Kevin Grantham, who has been in charge for less than two years, said he plans to re-open the pub after settling financial problems.
The news was particular welcome news for bride-to-be Caroline Maher, 26, who was due to hold a wedding reception at the venue in October following her marriage to Nicky Waller. She was reduced to tears over the possibility that she may have to find a new venue at the last minute.
- 1 Alan Carr enjoys 'delicious food' and leaves large tip at city restaurant
- 2 'Disaster from start to finish': Parents slam school for failing kids
- 3 See how Norwich Castle's keep is being transformed
- 4 'I don't feel safe' - Boss' fears just one month into shop job
- 5 Family piano shop founded in 1887 is leaving the city
- 6 Schoolchildren still without playing field after TWO YEARS
- 7 Tributes paid to 'amazing' Norwich shop worker
- 8 Power still out in parts of Norwich city centre six hours later
- 9 Power cut hits Norwich city centre
- 10 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
Mr Grantham, who is also chairman of the Norwich City Licensing Forum, said: “We have had some issues with the brewery but we will be re-opening the pub and their wedding can go ahead.”
The Queen Charlotte was previously known as Dodgers, a karaoke bar, but was renamed the Queen Charlotte in October 2006.
Years ago it was the Lord Nelson before becoming the Artful Dodger from 1989.