Queen Charlotte set to re-open
Lucy Bolton Local live music in Norwich has been dealt another blow after the popular Queen Charlotte venue shut down for financial reasons. Landlord Kevin Grantham has closed the pub after less than two years in charge.
A popular live music venue in Norwich is to re-open.
In what looked to be a another blow for the live music scene, the Queen Charlotte, in Dereham Road, had closed suddenly 10-days ago.
The closure came as a blow to many Norwich bands for whom the pub is a popular venue. In recent months the pub had attracted a number of high profile performers, including King Creosote, Gallows and Catherine Feeney who chose it to stage her Norwich farewell show.
Now landlord Kevin Grantham, who has been in charge for less than two years, said he plans to re-open the pub after settling financial problems.
The news was particular welcome news for bride-to-be Caroline Maher, 26, who was due to hold a wedding reception at the venue in October following her marriage to Nicky Waller. She was reduced to tears over the possibility that she may have to find a new venue at the last minute.
- 1 High-flyer at school to heroin addict - City homeless man reveals his story
- 2 'I can't lose!' City fan places 150/1 bet on Canaries dismal scoring record
- 3 From mustard to postcodes: 15 things Norwich has given the world
- 4 'Covid has killed us' - 65-year-old Norwich venue The Talk to close
- 5 Cockapoo Café coming to Norwich next month
- 6 Staff and customers gutted after fire badly damages popular takeaway
- 7 Struggles to move out of Norfolk continue after school attack
- 8 Community on high alert after cars targeted in city suburbs
- 9 Traffic and infrastructure fears as major housing project starts
- 10 Man sentenced for two robberies in two days
Mr Grantham, who is also chairman of the Norwich City Licensing Forum, said: “We have had some issues with the brewery but we will be re-opening the pub and their wedding can go ahead.”
The Queen Charlotte was previously known as Dodgers, a karaoke bar, but was renamed the Queen Charlotte in October 2006.
Years ago it was the Lord Nelson before becoming the Artful Dodger from 1989.