Queen bids a fond farewell to Norfolk
Richard ParrThe Queen spoke today of her sadness that her Christmas and New Year holiday in Norfolk was at an end.Richard Parr
The Queen spoke today of her sadness that her Christmas and New Year holiday in Norfolk was at an end.
But regular royal watchers commented on how relaxed she appeared when she attended morning service at West Newton Church on the Sandringham Estate.
She spent more time than usual after the service talking to people in the crowd who had gathered outside the church and it was a case of flowers all the way as she accepted posies from children and adults.
Well-known royal watcher, Mary Relph, was celebrating her 76th birthday and as she gave the Queen flowers she told her that it was her birthday. Special Constables on duty later presented Mrs Relph, of Shouldham, with a birthday cake.
'I thought the Queen looked lovely in her bright pink coat and hat, but it is always sad when it is the last Sunday of her holiday and she returns to London,' said Mrs Relph, who has been a fervent royal watcher for more than 60 years.
John Harris, of Heacham, said the Queen spoke of her sadness that her holiday had come to an end. She is due to return to London tomorrow.
- 1 City teen named Ikea drops furniture brand as first name
- 2 Norwich chippy ranked as one of best in UK
- 3 Neighbourhood bemused after garage turned into barber shop
- 4 Customers in shock as parking charges rack up at retail park
- 5 Former City defender Klose training with Championship club
- 6 'It would mean everything to get it back': Heartfelt plea to reunite widow with engagement ring
- 7 Arrest after man found with large quantity of cannabis and lock knife
- 8 'Normal is nerve-wracking': City bosses' plan to keep masks despite rules
- 9 Smokehouse launches takeaway Sunday roasts with loaded Yorkshire puddings
- 10 House of horrors: Is this the worst council property in Norwich?
'The Queen told us…that the time at Sandringham had gone far too quickly,' said Mr Harris.
During the church service, the Queen presents prizes to members of the Sandringham Group of Parishes Sunday School.