Queen bids a fond farewell to Norfolk
Richard ParrThe Queen spoke today of her sadness that her Christmas and New Year holiday in Norfolk was at an end.Richard Parr
The Queen spoke today of her sadness that her Christmas and New Year holiday in Norfolk was at an end.
But regular royal watchers commented on how relaxed she appeared when she attended morning service at West Newton Church on the Sandringham Estate.
She spent more time than usual after the service talking to people in the crowd who had gathered outside the church and it was a case of flowers all the way as she accepted posies from children and adults.
Well-known royal watcher, Mary Relph, was celebrating her 76th birthday and as she gave the Queen flowers she told her that it was her birthday. Special Constables on duty later presented Mrs Relph, of Shouldham, with a birthday cake.
You may also want to watch:
'I thought the Queen looked lovely in her bright pink coat and hat, but it is always sad when it is the last Sunday of her holiday and she returns to London,' said Mrs Relph, who has been a fervent royal watcher for more than 60 years.
John Harris, of Heacham, said the Queen spoke of her sadness that her holiday had come to an end. She is due to return to London tomorrow.
- 1 Monster rats 'the size of cats' invade city - and get in via the LOO
- 2 WATCH: Bus and cyclist skip red light in city
- 3 New café serves a hundred customers in two hours on opening day
- 4 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 5 Star-studded cast announced for Norwich Theatre Royal 2021 panto
- 6 Plan for 1,600 homes would see new school and health centre open
- 7 Siblings slam council for 'backtracking' on council flat
- 8 'Untouchable': People tell how Norwich killer left them in fear of their safety
- 9 See inside renovated 1950s Norwich factory apartment for sale for £350,000
- 10 First look as Norwich's new £2.75m recycling centre opens
'The Queen told us…that the time at Sandringham had gone far too quickly,' said Mr Harris.
During the church service, the Queen presents prizes to members of the Sandringham Group of Parishes Sunday School.